S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lets try this again...
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ok ive got fiberglassing down alright, still practicing though. My question is, i got a 96 s10 and im wanting to further my fiberglassing skills by glassing my door panels... now most of the panel is that textured plastic and the top of the door panel has that little strip of cloth and also the armrest piece is like a vinyl type feeling thing, not sure. My question is that, how would i go about glassing all of this? no special designs or anything, just fiberglassing the whole panel? Ive done a search on here but cant find exactly what im looking for, does anyone know of any step by steps on this with pictures or any links to step-by-step or how to's of this being done? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glassing Panels

Well on the Texture part you dont even have to Glass it...you can sand the Texture out of it and paint it...as far at the arm Rest u can mold Fiberglass around that...because if u just paint it then it will ware off eventually....When glassing you usually dont have to glass nothing unless your feeling in or Creating something new...Most the time Pros will just take the plastic sand the grooves out smooth it out primer and paint....need anymore help just pm me

·
Lets try this again...
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so the textured part i just sand down smooth but what about the arm rest? you said to mold over it but after i make a fiberglass mold over it and close up the lines to make it look like one whole piece of door panel, how much of the mold should i glass over onto the textured part if i dont need to glass that? do i just glass it over enough to close up the lines and make it hard with the fiberglass and then sand it down and bondo and sand some more to make it seem like one piece? What about the Cloth part of the door panel??

·
Registered
99 Posts
panels

Yeh on the Rest just mold over the lines...enough to cover them up...then sand it down to where it kinda fades into the plastic that way when painted u wont see a rise in the fiberglass to plastic...as far as where the fabric is is the fabric sunk in some? If So u will need to glass it to about 3/8 higher then the actual panel then sand it down level with the panels...if u dont glass it higher then u will come up short and have to reglass which sucks after all that sanding...i also recomend getting a D/A Sander

·
Lets try this again...
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, all this help is cool thanks alot. Yeah i got a DA, helps ALOT. Ok so after everything is done, how do i get the molds to stick. Is there a way to hold them on somehow without seeing anything BUT the mold?

·
Lets try this again...
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres one of Danny Rowe's 1998 S10.

R.I.P. Danny

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Panels

Glass the Molds on to the door...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Panels

If u send me a pic i can get u a price on what u want to do to it from my shop...Unless you want to tackle it yourself

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Twoods, can your shop make a fiberglass console for me if I gave you what I wanted it to have, it's length, and height, painted black or a certain color of tweed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts