S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have a chance to get a set of gibson headers for my truck for fairly cheap, are they worth it or should I just wait it out and pay the price for the JBA's? The designs of the two look very similar, I would assume the performance gains would be about the same for the 2 as well, just thought I would get some opinions first before I make a move on the Gibsons.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i think headers for S-10's are all pretty much the same, except Edelbrocks need coated to resist rust. if you can get the Gibsons for a good price, id go for it.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I agree, but the headers aren't cheap anymore really, last night I found a set of stainless steel gibsons on ebay with 4 days left, no one had bid on them and they were at $100 with a reserve. Today I went back to them and they are alreay up to $205, I am sure by the end of the auction they will go for over $300. What I don't understand is over a month ago I won a brand new set of JBA's for my brother for only $127, didn't come with the hardware or anything but still thats about $250 cheaper than what they cost new! I wish I could get a set for that cheap, I guess I will just have to wait.

·
Registered
37 Posts
how difficult is it to put a set of headers on a s10 4.3?? i put a set of shorties on my 1500 w/ 350, and i thought that was a pain.. it doesnt seem like there is a lot of room to work with under there in the s10..seems like a nightmare.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I think I can say within a certain limit, ask most anyone if they'd
like to install a set of headers on an s truck who's already
done a set wouldn't care for the job, now that's just my take.

I for one wouldn't like to, but now that I know
what the best route is at least for a 1st Gen, I guess I'd do em
if I HAD to..But there's no doubt it can be a lot of work.

The easiest way is to pull the inner fender skirts and go from
there...
:yikes:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm not sure about 2000, but if your truck has air injection make sure the headers have it too. Made that mistake before. :bash:

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
My brother had a 1993 4.3 S10. That motor looked so small in there, I cant see how headers on your 92 would be to difficult, besides the extra rusty bolts and stuff. I do agree with you, after installing the JBA's once, I wouldn't care to do them again. I used the supplied JBA gasket so I will probably be doing them again in a year or two.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Yea I hear that. I had read the different post here about the
JBA gaskets, so I went for Mr.Gasket Ultra Seals..No leaks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes they are a PITA. I have had mine in and out a few times now and cut the time to roughly 5 1/2 hours for the install. I would consider doing the install for anyone in the FT. Campbell, KY. area for a small fee of course.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well.. if youre going to install them, you best buy a set of copper header gaskets.. mine leaked on my 350 with the jba gaskets, until i took them off and put the copper gaskets on. then they never leaked again..

·
Registered
293 Posts
That was the reason I have them on and off a few times. The gaskets that JBA sent lasted about a month before they went to sh*t. I ordered a set of the copper gaskets, installed them, started up the truck and guess what? Every exhaust port had multiple leaks. Removed the copper gaskets and sent them back to Summit for a refund. I then installed a set of FelPro stock exhaust manifold gaskets and never had a leak again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thats strange..
when i put them on the second time.. i scraped absolutely everything off that the old gasket left... sprayed it with gasket remover, then scraped it again.. if there is anything remaining from the old gasket when you put the new gasket on, it is going to leak from that spot. well.. at least you got them to stop, which is always an accomplishment with headers.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Doesn't hurt to put a THIN bead of copper silicone around each
gasket port on both sides, use small block headerbolts with the
3/8 x 6 point head, and tighten em up randomly until they're
barely tight and then tighten em in stages like 15, 25, then 35ft#
and do it a few times until they seat like after the first 10 minute
start up, let cool, retorque go for a ride samre routine, go for
another longer ride, same routine, then once a month ck up on
torque.. I've never had a leak since I installed em..

·
the spl king
298 Posts
i have some e-brocks on my 93 f/s with a 4.3
took me about 2 hours to install them, and then i had to go down to a shop and have them weld up the new y-pipe

the 4.3 in a f/s is small, i could sit inside the motorwell, also having the truck on bags makes it ez-er to get inside of the motorwell and still have my feet on the ground

the install was ez for me, but i work in vehicle maints for a living in the AF right now

anyones in new mexico want help with wut ever installs pm me

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Thicker flanges on headers is better, less problems. The best gaskets I've found are the Mr. gasket ultra seals. I've had good luck with aluminum (Percy's) gaskets for the collectors.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had the mechanic install the Stainless Steel JBA with ceramic coating.

Real PITA for him. He almost gave up.

Here are 2 issues that the JBA had:

1. This phantom exhaust leak on the driver side that we just can't seem to find.
2. One of the spark plugs on the driver side is so close to one of the header pipes that the spark plug socket won't slide over the spark plug. The only solution is to loosen the headers. What a joke!

Well, now that I have a 1998 (the 2002 got totaled) 4.3 I think I'll try the Gibson for a change.

I'll update the results......

·
Registered
245 Posts
how difficult is it to put a set of headers on a s10 4.3?? i put a set of shorties on my 1500 w/ 350, and i thought that was a pain.. it doesnt seem like there is a lot of room to work with under there in the s10..seems like a nightmare.
Headers on S10s are a mother f....ker, i've put headers on LS1 Fbodies and fwd wbodies, S10s just suck all together. I must have put about 5 sets on my truck, without a body lift and suspension lift they are even worse. 2wds being the absolute worst. Biggest downfall to the jbas and gibsons are the pipe around the steering shaft, just one more pain in the ass part.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The steering wheel pipe won't bother me as much since I'm going to have the ZQ8 quick steering box installed.

It's the "loosen up the headers" to get to the spark plug that really disappointed me.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy hell an 8 year old thread bump.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When appropriate I rather bump an old thread than to create another one so.

I hate it when I search for the same topic and a thousand threads come up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts