S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 4x4 blazer and its running a bit hotter than it used to. What can i do to get the temp down. I do alot of driving in it city and long highway trips. I thought about putting two 3400cfm fans in but i heard it makes the engine get hot with ac on. Any suggestions?

·
SS turbo
569 Posts
a cowl hood to let the air out, a larger more efficient radiator, flush out the coolant. throw in a lower temp stat, so the engine can atleast keep the minmum temp cooler. if it still gets hot with a lower temp stat, than you might have other issues. i have the flex 220 fan on my truck, works wonderfully, but i dont have a/c. uncludder the engine bay if at all possible. thats just a few ideas

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
Replace the t-stat with a 180 and perform a coolant flush on the truck. I run a 160 in mine and mine runs 180ish all the time even with A/C. See what happens. It may be that your fan clutch is bad and in need of replacing. check the area between the condenser and rad. It may be full of leaves/grass and such.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It started getting hot then i noticed the water pump was leaking (i replaced it)and its been hot ever since, I also 4X4 alot so would the eletric fans be practical for me, i will look behide the condenser probally a good chance there is something between them. Whats the stock t Switch set at 210?

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Have you done a flush & fill? Flush out the old coolant and run an acid flush through it. You'd be amazed at how much crud it can remove (if present) but also how much it can help your cooling.

How do the radiator fins look? Keeping those straightened out is important too.

Incidentally, my truck was creeping up there in temp this summer also. My radiator started leaking before I could flush it, and the replacement made a night & day difference. Even in the 90+ degree days, the needle stays right at the thermostat temp now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got one of the oversized radiators from jagsthatrun.com and even here in S. Florida with 90+ degree days and the A/C on Max, my temp gauge rarely makes it past 170 or so. The only time I ever see it hit 195 (thermostat temp), is when I'm sitting in line at Taco Bell for ever. As soon as it hits 195, you can watch it drop back to 170 as the thermostat opens.

Good luck,

David Viles

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the radiator is only like 2 yrs old, the fins look good. I drained the coolant and figured that was a good enough flush(guess not). The fuel pump went out on me and when it shut off the temp went up another bar (260 area?) but that was after engine shut down after doing 80mph with the ac on for 40 miles or so.

So would eletric fans be better for cooling pupouses, i know theres hp gains with them but im more concerned with eff. cooling.

I will probally change out the t-stat and flush it, but i gotta fix the fuel pump 1st

I also belive my heater core to be cracked, i havnt noticed and coolant decrease receantly, could that cause it to run hot?

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
I don't think you'll really see gains from e-fans over the clutch fan. When the clutch locks up, those fans pull serious air.

You'll net MPG (perhaps) and noise benefits with the e-fans, and possibly some HP if your clutch fan is locking out all the time, but I don't believe you'll gain cooling benefits.

·
Chip Chipperson
6,827 Posts
i agree flush it,does it have the dexcool in it?if so it has probaly has the infamous dexcool mud that can clog some of the passage ways and everything,flush out the system really good and change coolant,new t stat,and electric fan.i just put in my efan yesterday,i did the taurus fan mod,it makes a huge difference in the cooling and the ac works better,better throttle response and hopefully better gas mileage.but this is all just my opinion,i had the same problams when i got my truck in feb.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
Distorted brought up a great idea. Check out your exhaust. If your cat is clogged than it can run engine temps up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think i put dex in it. How would the best way to fig out if it was an exuast prob? The whole prob started after the water pump started leaking but after i changed it the prob never went away.

Does any one know the cfm of the stock fan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts