S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gettin' Lucky In Kentucky
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Im getting my exhaust put on in the morning, a flowmaster 40 with turndown on a 2.2. Ive heard this on other trucks with the same engine and like it, but I dont know if I want to keep my cat or not. Is there a big improvement in sound? Any downsides? What would sound better? Thanks

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
It will be loud as hell without a cat, and on a 2.2, the sound will only get worse.

·
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, just got home, Ive got the stock pipe still from the manifold to in front of the muffler, then the new muff and a turndown right after. The guy also cut off my bumpstop brackets, and all he charged me was $45. Sounds good right now, kind of stiff sounding, and a little higher pitched then Id like, but he said it will get a little deeper and loosen up within the next week or so. So all in all, Im pleased. :)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
i have a 2.2 with a single in dual out flowmaster delta 40 with no cat. not to loud but mad deep. it sounded like shit at first but after about a month 1500 miles or so it sounds amazing. alot like a deep ass turbo muffler but with the flowmaster loudness. iv gotten alot of compliments on it by other s10 2.2 owners! they said they were jelous!! lol.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
xtreme101 said:
Alright, just got home, Ive got the stock pipe still from the manifold to in front of the muffler, then the new muff and a turndown right after. The guy also cut off my bumpstop brackets, and all he charged me was $45. Sounds good right now, kind of stiff sounding, and a little higher pitched then Id like, but he said it will get a little deeper and loosen up within the next week or so. So all in all, Im pleased. :)
so all it is, is the stock pipe going into the flow master muffler?....and it was only 45$?

·
I need to get to work
62 Posts
I have an original 40 series Flowmaster, and it only sounds ricey while it's cold. Drive about 2-3 miles until it warms up, and it sounds a lot better.

·
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slam-10 said:
so all it is, is the stock pipe going into the flow master muffler?....and it was only 45$?
Yea, with a turndown a couple inches after the muffler. While it was up on the rack, I had him cut off my bumpstop brackets, which Id been meaning to do but never had the time.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
adam728 said:
Uhmm, Flowmasters don't have any "break-in" period, there is no packing inside them. Take it from someone that ran a 40 series on their truck for almost a year, it sounds the same from day one on. To me it was far to ricey, so I replaced it.

well no damn muffler fairy came along and tapped my muffler so obviously it does have a sort of break in period. i think that after heating up and cooling down every day it does something.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
my flow 40 was never ricey...but if this is on an OBD2 vehicle, doesnt he need an O2 simulator if he removes the cat?

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
A Flowmaster is nothing but baffles, there is NOTHING to break in on it. If anything changed the sound it was another mod that you did or your ears getting used to it and thinking it was different from when you first got it. Nothing breaks in, it's impossible!

I ran mine well over 2-3 miles and the sound was the same as when cold or warm. Only change was once the truck warmed up it didn't pop nearly as much under deceleration. I had mine with the stock tailpipe, then a dump, then a dump after the axle. I was never happy with the exhaust because it sounded like every other loud 4 banger around here. On other vehicles they sound good (my roommates decently modded Jeep 4.0L sounds awesome, same muffler). Just my taste.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
well then you can tell that to my friends ears... they said they noticed a good difference between the time i got it and now. and i havent seen the one in like 2 months. he had asked if i got a new exhaust, he said "sounds alot lower and cleaner, what the hell did you do to it". it used to sound like fockin shit when i first did it, sounded like no mufflers. then after like one and a half months around i would say 1500 and 2000 it sounded different. i know!... maybe me and my friends were brainwashed! well anywho...

no i do not need a o2 sensor, i have a 94 2.2 s10 5 spd. they started putting the sensor before and after the cat in 96 (i think... dont quote me on that) i just have one right on the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
45 Posts
He's telling the truth, there are baffles custructed of the same material as the housing. No, fiberglass or resonator stuff, just steel. So with that said, yes it is impossible for the muffler to get more quiet or louder, unless you modify it or change or break something. Not trying to be an ass, but I feel like I need to get some facts straight here.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
True. It wouldnt break in...mine sounded the same the day I bought it and the uh...last time i heard it. I also never had ANY popping from my Flow, but i have noticed that a lot, and i mean most of the trucks i hear with them, have the popping sound. I HATE it. 1995, my CPI has 3 O2 sensors.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
i would just keep it on its not worth putting it back on every couple of years for the I/M test

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
well who knows what happend with it... it changed somehow... maybe not the muffler but something did, at first it sounded horrible now it sounds great. i would love to know what happend. i know there is nothing to break in... that is why it has been such a mystery... the world may never know!

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey i had a flowmaster 40 put on my 4.3 and after about a month i noticed it did get louder and had more of that flowmaster sound. and i didn't do anyother mods

1 - 20 of 24 Posts