S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey...

Sorry, here's another exhaust thread... I've read a lot of old messages about the exhaust, but still have some questions. Could someone recommend an exhaust to get? I don't want a ricey sound and want some performance out of it. I have heard that flowmaster 40 and 50's are good, same with magnaflow. I was also wondering what size inlet/outlet to get... I like the look of duals, but I figure I'll get single since it is a 4 banger and keep the stock look. Anybody know what size tubing the stock one is? I figure I don't want to lose my backpressure, so I'd keep the stock pipe or have them rerun the same size pipe. Also, where would you recommend buying it from (good price, fast shipping, and good service). I plan on ordering it by the end of the weekend, so any input is appreciated. Thanks,

DogP

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
I assume from where you posted you have the 2.2 You'll want to stick with the orginal pipe size for your system unless you've done a lot of mods to the engine. If you go much bigger, you'll loose some torque on the bottom end.

As for the muffler, the 50 series Flowmaster was designed for small engines for the best performance. I haven't heard a 50 personally, but it should be ok. I've got a 40 on mine with the stock pipe and a resonator tip. The 40's a bit louder and flows a bit more. It's always going to sound like a 4 cyl., but at low RPMs it's got a pretty decent rumble to it. It's not as tinny as a lot of ricers I've heard in town. I'm quite happy with it. I've got quite a few mods on my 2.2 and the exhaust more than sufficient.

I'd recommend you look around locally for a dealer that carries Flowmasters as they have the mufflers there where you can look at them and talk to the guys that have heard them all and get their recommendation. I had the whole system put on mine with the 40 for just over $100. If you have them do it, they'll weld it on the right way and you won't have to worry about leaks or it falling off with clamps.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... sorry, I screwed up my sig a couple of days ago, now it's fixed. Its a 2.2 with a few mods, nothing major. I guess that I'll probably just order a flowmaster 50, but to keep stock pipe, what size inlet/outlet do I need??? Also, any idea where to get it from? Thanks,

DogP

·
Registered
920 Posts
borla turbo muffler

2.25 in single in
2.25 in single out

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I think I finally narrowed it down to a flowmaster, but I don't know if I should get a 40 or 50 series... if anyone who has either of these could help me out as to how they sound, I would appreciate it. I read that the 40 is a lot louder than the 50, and do I want a delta-flow or not? I would like a loud sound as long as it sounds good, I don't want a loud crappy sound. I don't know if either has better performance, but I would like to take that into consideration too.

One last thing... should I get a new high flow cat??? I was looking at this one - http://www.truckperformance.com/pro...RUCK&sf2=1994&sf3=S-10+PICKUP/SONOMA&sf4=2.2L . I figure while I am doing any exhaust, I might as well make it right, and do it all at once, so sorry for all the questions. Thanks,

DogP

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
don't get flowmaster.....magnaflow makes a whole catback exhaust for our trucks that sounds a whole lot better!

get that, and just run a pipe so that you can't see it from just looking at the truck, cause the stock look is gay!!

flowmaster I have heard on our trucks and it sounded like ass in my opinion

Caleb

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay... where do I get one of these magnaflow catback systems??? And what do you mean about the extra pipe? Could you show me a pic or something? Also, if I get this, should I get a new cat? Summerwolf: Is this what you have, or have you heard it somewhere before??? Thanks,

DogP

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
this is what I wish I had bought....www.truckperformance.com should have the whole catback with tips and everything, or www.magnaflow will have it listed

my whole thing is I hate one tip, its either two out the back or none, so after my muffler (2.5 inch pipe, go 2.25, more torque for you) I have a pipe ran all the way back and it exits right behind the spare tire, BUT you can't see it exit from looking at the truck unless you get down and look for it on hands and knees

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I've heard it on one 2.2 and he was stock besides the exhaust and that was THE best 2.2 I have ever heard!!!

Caleb

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm feeling really dumb right now, but truckperformance doesn't have an exhaust for the 2.2 '94, and I checked out magnaflow's site, and they say they only have one for the 96-01. Here is magnaflows http://www.magnaflow.com/03cat-chevy.htm . And truckperformance... they don't have anything under cat-back, and under just mufflers, all the magnaflow exhausts look like ricer exhausts (4" tips).

What I would like is the stock look exhaust coming out at the same place (pointing downward behind the back passenger side wheel). If you could give me a direct link to a site that has it for a 94, 2.2, standard cab, short bed, I would appreciate it.

Otherwise, I see they have universal mufflers on the magnaflow site that don't have tips attached ( http://www.magnaflow.com/03cat-back/03aluminized/03aluminized.htm ), but if I get one of those, are there different series of exhausts that I need to look at (like the flowmaster # series) and what physical size would I need? And I guess while I'm asking, would it be better to get a stainless steel or aluminized muffler?

And if I'm doing all of this, would there be any advantage/disadvantage to changing my catalytic converter w/ a high flow? And you think 2.25" exhaust all the way is good?

Thanks,

DogP

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
2.25 exhaust would be the best for you cause you wouldn't lose any torque and you still have better flow.....I didn't know they only listed it for 96 and above, but then again, the 96 model truck is the same as a 94 model truck so just get that! it works, and I'm sure one of them is the same looking exhaust as your stock look, maybe it has a chrome tip or something

Caleb

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay... I just took my friend over to the muffler shop to get his exhaust put on his car and I asked him about magnaflow and he said he can order whatever I need from them and put it on for me, so I'll probably just have him order and install it for me. I don't know if he'll get the whole cat back system or just the muffler and weld it on, but I figure I'll let him look at it and see what to get. But are all the magnaflows the same or is there one specific type that I should ask for.

I think maybe the reason the catback system is for the 96-01 is because they have different engines than 94-95 (I think). Thanks,

DogP

·
Half Deaf at 140dB
108 Posts
DogP, check your PMs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts