S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am finally narrowing down what I want for my truck. Next thing on the list is to put this bitch on frame. So if you guys could help me narrow down to the best kits that would suit me. I can weld, so no bolt on crap. (On that topic, I have a electric stick welder, this should be fine?)

My truck is an 87' standard cab, 2.5L 2wd.

I want a F,B,S,S setup, and something I can install myself. I would love to be able to lay frame on 20's w/low profile tires. What size notch will I need? What link setup will allow me to lay out? What set up will I need for the front end? Can I use the stock control arms if I replace the spindles w/2" drops?

Are tank relocating arms easy to make?

I plan on installing everything myself, how difficult is wiring it up?

Thanks alot guys!

Peace,
~Craig

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Soulman555 said:
I am finally narrowing down what I want for my truck. Next thing on the list is to put this bitch on frame. So if you guys could help me narrow down to the best kits that would suit me. I can weld, so no bolt on crap. (On that topic, I have a electric stick welder, this should be fine?)

My truck is an 87' standard cab, 2.5L 2wd.

I want a F,B,S,S setup, and something I can install myself. I would love to be able to lay frame on 20's w/low profile tires. What size notch will I need? What link setup will allow me to lay out? What set up will I need for the front end? Can I use the stock control arms if I replace the spindles w/2" drops?

Are tank relocating arms easy to make?

I plan on installing everything myself, how difficult is wiring it up?

Thanks alot guys!

Peace,
~Craig
That is a loaded question lol,

Laying out on 20's with any tire is a huge ordeal.

A friend of mine 98layingframe just did this to his truck to lay on 20's.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96628&highlight=lay+frame+20's

I would PM him for some more info,

About setups,
Almost any link setup from
http://www.suicidedoors.com/store_final.html

I would also go to www.bagginit.com for a good read on what all you need to know,

about notch here is a calculator,
http://www.bagginit.com/picks.html

any questions ask :) here to help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I appreciate it. So, I think I know what I am getting, looks like a 5inch notch should be good, unless I want to get an 8" and be set for BDing in the future. I don't care about cutting the bed, I prefer that look.

And, about the welder, an electric stick welder should be fine? My dad says you could weld a grator together with it, lol, but I just wanna' be sure. Guys on here talk about TIGing alot.

As of now it looks like a triangulated 3 link & air management from SD should do the trick.

Tank relocating... Is it easy enough to fab up your own crossmember?

And I am thinking of making my own bridge, do an over axle set-up... Make the most sense to me, I can visualize it the best. Am I headed in the right direction guys?

Peace,
~Craig

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Soulman555 said:
Thanks man, I appreciate it. So, I think I know what I am getting, looks like a 5inch notch should be good, unless I want to get an 8" and be set for BDing in the future. I don't care about cutting the bed, I prefer that look.

And, about the welder, an electric stick welder should be fine? My dad says you could weld a grator together with it, lol, but I just wanna' be sure. Guys on here talk about TIGing alot.

As of now it looks like a triangulated 3 link & air management from SD should do the trick.

Tank relocating... Is it easy enough to fab up your own crossmember?

And I am thinking of making my own bridge, do an over axle set-up... Make the most sense to me, I can visualize it the best. Am I headed in the right direction guys?

Peace,
~Craig
Stick welding alows for deep penatration and stronger weldes. (depending on the welder and weldee) ;)

the notch and body drop do not matter the frame stays at the same point the body just drops around it :) but I would go 8" this will alow you to lift the front and drop the rear more if you want to drag :)

to make you own x-member if you are a good fabracator it is not a prob , but for something high stress (mounting point) for a gas tank and link setup I would buy one if you do not trust your work.

With your choises you are on a good start :)

take a look at this thread, he has about what you want to do, -the body drop ;)

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142187

1 - 5 of 5 Posts