S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4wheeln & Layn-Body
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just joined this forum and it is sweet! Here is how I took the orange out of my buddies 97 Sonoma and out of my 99 Jimmy Headlamps. These are only suggestions don't blame me if you mess up!!! USE COMMON SENSE!

-First take out the bulbs, I put them where they will not be touched or broken if you do touch the bulb clean it with Windex or rubbing alcohol because they will burn out if oils form your hand get on them. There might be clips on the light save them you will need them later.

-2nd you got to know a little what you’re doing. I start looking where the glue is at. I get the handy dremal with a 2 inch cutting blade and make a clean cut along the glue line with a steady hand. Now you have to be careful not to cut into the chrome, the chrome makes up the whole clean affect look.

-After I make a clean 360 cut, the top lens slowly comes off. Then the orange comes right out, lucky it is not glued. Remember be careful not to scratch the chrome. You will have a lot of dust from the dremal, but it easily comes off, run the top lens and the bottom headlamp under some warm water and some dish soap. Do not rub hard on the chrome. Rinse then let both pieces dry.

-Make sure there is no water in the lens before you reseal them.

-Place some Permatex Sealant (or any type of plastic bonding opxy or silicone) over where you cut be careful not to get any on the lens. If let it dry and it should come off. Anyways place some sealant around the cut areas and if you have those clips put them on now, if not hold the lens for awhile to let it dry.

- After drying do another 360 seal on the cut areas Don't put too much just the areas you might have missed.

-Then install the bulbs and u r done and you have kick ass lights
Note***** this is a very delicate process if you want it done right.
-I heard of people using a haul dryer but you could damage the light by heating it too much, trust me i have tried even with a heat gun, it will actually melt the black plastic. but whatever for works for you right.

-I have done several 97 and 99 Sonoma/Jimmy sets before, If YOU are interested I will gladly do yours for you, for a small fee, You pay shipping. I have done many this way and have had great feedback. If your serious email me: [email protected]

·
4wheeln & Layn-Body
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cut the glue out and some parts you have to cut the headlamp because on the 98 lights on the curve of the light the glue is way down there.

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
2000 sonoma

I took the orange out of my 2k Somnoma....

I used a hairdryer to eat the glue and then slowly caraefully pried them apart. I just used superglue to put the rubber gamet back on. They never leak and work great!!

LowTech

·
4wheeln & Layn-Body
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 95-97 sonoma's are easier to take ou the orange because you can cut the glue line all around. If you are scared on cutting up your lights don't do it, you can try a hair dryer but i think it will mess up your lights more than useing a dremel. There are people on this forum that used a hairdryer but you have to be skilled enough not to crack the black plastic in the back, heat and plastic do not mix. I do the 95-97 sonoma's for $50 and the 98 and above for $85 because they are tricky. You pay for shipping the light to me and back. I finish them in a day. I have done many like this, if your interested my email is at the top. Or you can try it yourself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey Bow tie man, I hear y'all do that "truck slammin" down there in las cruces. I got a pink 97' Gmc Sonoma, that needs slammin! I already got the clears out of my lights, but some dumb-ass(we'll call him "the foreman" scratched my lens. Any ideas???? E-mail me back. Oh yeah they call me PINKIE!!!!!!! By the way DAMN, your truck is the ****!!!!!!!!

·
4wheeln & Layn-Body
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yo pinkie man thanks for the props, That reminds me to get the website going on so people can see what we got and represent the Southwest. Or they can chech out Aarons truck on page 98 in the new may issue of Truckin mag.

Remeber the Ground Dweller moto is "DO YOU SCRAPE"

Sorry I CAN'T SPELL !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts