S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '92 S-10 a year and a half ago. It has a TB 2.8L with a 5-speed manual tranny. When I first laid eyes on the truck I thought "LSX swap." As circumstances would have it, I might be trading my S-10 to a relative who can no longer drive his lifted C-20. So I'm thinking that if anything should happen (catastrophic failure) with the S-10, I would build a 4.3L and swap it in. I don't know too much about the 3.8L/4.3L engines except they were the engines to beat back in the late '80s and early '90s. I can do the engine build and the swap myself, but I'm unclear with the details. So here's the questions. What year engines am I looking for? What kind of electrical or engine management issues will I have when swapping from a 2.8L to a 4.3L V6? Will my current 5-speed live behind a 4.3L? Where would I look for performance parts for the 3.8L/4.3L V6 engines? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chickenbone

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
i dont know about them being "the engines to beat" even in the 80's,
but regardless, keep in mind that there are two distinctly different 3.8L
engines produced by GM in the early-mid 80s.
there is the Chevy designed 229 CI, which was basically just a sawed
off 305 engine.
and there is the Buick designed 231 CI engine.
other than the fact that they were both 90 deg. V6's produced by GM,
they are completely different designs and share no common parts.
well, other than a few ignition system parts....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the earlier 3.8L engines were out of the question since I live in NJ. They frown upon "downgrading" from TBI to carb. I was thinking more along the lines of the 4.3L engines that came in the early to mid '90s Astrovans. I think in those years they came with EFI, but I haven't seen one in a while. Next time I'm at the JY I'll hunt one down to see.

A friend's father used to have a Syclone back in the day and I remember that truck being pretty quick. He ran down a Grand National with it. I'm not looking to do that with the S-10 since my relative just needs basic transportation in the event he drives again. I'll just have to do my LSX swap into the C-20:haha: .

Chickenbone

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
i believe the 4.3 b/c TBI in 87/88 but not truely sure on that.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Is there anything wrong with the current 2.8L in the truck? If not honestly I'd just leave it there instead of going through the hassle of swapping in another V6 but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The buick 3.8 is an awesome powerplant especially the turbo model. Great fuel mileage.
The 4.3 and 3.8 is in my opinoin the best GM V6 ever.....You can add EFI to anything so year model can be disguised.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's nothing wrong with the 2.8L as it sits now. It runs pretty good. I still have an idling issue where it doesn't seem to go under 900 rpms unless it's hot and humid out; then it runs low enough to almost stall out. The scanner tells me that it's in constant open loop and can't read the codes. I don't know how many miles are on the engine. This is just a contingency; I plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Though I wonder if my current 5-speed would live behind a 4.3L? I'll figure out what changes need to be made with the computer and wiring if that's necessary with this swap.

Chickenbone

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the 2.8L as it sits now. It runs pretty good. I still have an idling issue where it doesn't seem to go under 900 rpms unless it's hot and humid out; then it runs low enough to almost stall out. The scanner tells me that it's in constant open loop and can't read the codes. I don't know how many miles are on the engine. This is just a contingency; I plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Though I wonder if my current 5-speed would live behind a 4.3L? I'll figure out what changes need to be made with the computer and wiring if that's necessary with this swap.

Chickenbone
You'd need a bellhousing adapter to run the 60* V6 T5 on the 90* 4.3 V6 but I would imagine it'd live behind it just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts