S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
its easy mmmkay
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i ended up getting 35's eventually for my truck what gears would work well with them, and where is a good place i can get the gears?

thanks

·
its easy mmmkay
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have 3.42gears and a locking diff g80code.. should i go 4.10's?

·
Gears and Differentials
1,395 Posts
I would go at least that far. You can find 4.10 front differentials in junk yards. There were many 4X4 S trucks with this ratio in the '80s and maybe later. Swapping the complete front differential will be MUCH easier than swapping the gears. The 7.2 IFS is one of the most difficult differentials that I have rebuilt. The rear end isn't that bad.

·
its easy mmmkay
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go at least that far. You can find 4.10 front differentials in junk yards. There were many 4X4 S trucks with this ratio in the '80s and maybe later. Swapping the complete front differential will be MUCH easier than swapping the gears. The 7.2 IFS is one of the most difficult differentials that I have rebuilt. The rear end isn't that bad.
so i should find a 4.10 diff is it all the same bracketry? because im gunna be getting a 6" superlift

·
Gears and Differentials
1,395 Posts
Yes, the mounts are the same. The only thing that I know of that was changed over the years were the axle flanges and the later case had a drain plug. I think the later axles will fit in the old differential.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
I would go 4.56 but that is me. I personally would not worry about changing the frt diff b/c the frt diff wont last long anyway wheeling with 35's

·
Gears and Differentials
1,395 Posts
The little 7.2 IFS isn't that strong. If you will be getting off road then you might want to think about a solid axle swap.

·
its easy mmmkay
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so what should i go with so it looks big? 33/1350's? 34's? i have 32's right now and i know if i go 33's i have a choice of changing gearing if i want, but if i go 35's the gearing will have to change i dont wheel hard tho rarely i do and its usually on trails, not mudding, im gunna b getting my sl6 soon and i need to make a decision

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.