S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3.42's in my rear now and the posi is going up in it (sometimes one tire fire) when I replace the unit if I put in 3.73's while Im at it will it make a noticeable difference down the 1/4? how much will it help my 60'?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
3.73's will help you off the line a little. ive had 3.42's and 3.73's, and really noticed no difference unless i was hauling a LOT in the bed.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, have you had any 4.10? I was thinking about running that high too? large diameter meats for street, 26' slicks for track? any input?

·
Registered
80 Posts
4.10 is a very steep gear, and unless you're turning high rpm's at the big end of the track, you're et and mph are going to suffer because the motor will wind out faster with the steeper gear. Stick with 3.73 unless you have a lot of motor and a lot of traction. The steeper gear multiplies the torque harder when you launch, and if you can't put the power to the pavement, all you'll have is a nice smoke display at the line.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the reason I want bigger gears down the track...

At the trap I am only in 3rd gear at 4300-4500 RPM (5800 shiftpoint).
Steeper gear will let me get into 3rd gears power curve and shift into 4th.
On the street I want to run a larger tire to compensate for the steeper gear. Does this sound like a good Idea or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Oh, also along with the gears I wanted to run slicks for the track, to take care of that traction thing...:burnout:

·
12,507 Posts
that would work, but remember, when you change tire size going from the track to the street, you also have to get your speedo recalibrated, and when you do the gear swap, you'll have to get it recalibrated.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hopeing I would find out what size tire to get with the higher ratio rear, to cancel eachother out on the street and have the same final ratio. Therefore the speedo would not need to be recalibrated... Just need to find out how tall of a tire I need... I have no clue.

·
12,507 Posts
same here. you'll still have to get it recalibrated when you do the gear install...i think one of the s-10 sites, maybe www.s-10.omr or s-series or one of those, has a calculator that tells you the gear ratio, tire size, and final gear ratio.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links Ill try them out.

·
12,507 Posts
you might also check tyres1.com, i think there was a calculator on there, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts