S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that I can tell from my VIN what the rated HP is on my 4.3L, which letter indicates what power rating, and which numbers located where on the truck tells me what gear ratios I have? thanks.

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
for the codes for gear ratio look on your glove box door those are your rpo codes then go to the rpo code decoder on s-series.org you will find out what they all mean.
for power rating i think its the 8th letter in your vin#w,x or z for 4.3s i think

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks joe,

that was a cool link with the rpo decoder. was able to determine that I have the 3.42 gears, is that good and for what?
accelleration or top speed? Also, my vin is with the X. where can I find out the HP? thanks again, you've been quite helpful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your 3.42's are an all around good gear if yoou drive the truck alot in my opinion, pretty snappy out of the hole, but dosent cruch gas mileage numbers, god help my gas mileage when the 4.56's go in, i dont think traction will be an option anymore either, oh well....

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Bad
Why would you want to put in 4.56 gears? Way to much for a 4.3
will kill your top end. These motors don't pull enough rpm's.
I use a 4.10 and it just about tops out at the 1/4 mi. in 3rd gear
with 245/50/16 Nitto drag radials. It runs 2650 @70 in od and
gets about 22-25 mpg on a trip with 255/50/16 tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im planning on towing my boat with the truck this summer and there isnt many nice ramps around here as far as slight angles, also it being a 23 foot center console i need a little more umph goin up and out of bottoms and takin off of inclines, i only run the 1/8th anyways so the way i figured it i oughta be just gettin ready to push 4th when i cross the lights, the 1/4 as you said will be a problem if i do run it there, but any advice is greatly appreciated, i was considering going with 4.10's but i wasnt sure, but if i can tach out 3rd in the 1/8th i would think that would be my best bet....whacha think?

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Well if you only run an 1/8 mi then the 4.56 gears will be ok.
I pull a 2 bike trailer that weighs about 1800 lbs loaded and i
travel long distances sometime besides running on a 1/4 mi
track, thats why i choose the 4.10. Its a good gear for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have 3.08 gears in mine and there pretty good out the hole... i'm not complaining

·
Racing Stock
518 Posts
I have 3.08's and there decent. I also have 3.42's and That is the best all around. I can't really compare cuz the 3.08's are in a stick while the 3.42's are in an auto

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
hey wickid x dont tell me you tow in overdrive. im towing my 98 ss and two tranny shops said that towing in overdrive will kill the tranny. so im going with 342 to 373 on my 2002 sonoma casue i will be towing my 98 ss on my lowboy trailor. and 3rd gear at 55 mph will tack out to much with 410s.

as for 456 gears badasssonoma

at 70 mph in overdrive you will be at 2900 rpms

now racing wise at 5500 rpms 1st will go to 31mph
2nd will go to 58
3rd will go to 93

this is with a 26 inch tall tire

now 410s
1st goes to 34
2nd go to 64
3rd goes to 104

1st goes to 37
2nd goes to 71
3rd goes to 114

you want a gear where it will be at about redline when you go thrw the lights. way it looks on the 1/8 mile would be 373 410s you might just start gettin into 3rd which wont be that great.

1/4 mile wise 456 at 93 mph you will be close to the redline going threw the lights at 93 mph which is good for mid 14s. now if you want to go faster id just go with 373

·
Registered
153 Posts
woooo

·
Registered
153 Posts
woooo hang on this is wierd... i have the listed truck below... my gears are 3.08... my 1st gear is 40mph, 2nd 62mph 3rd i'm not lookin at my speed but around 95, 4th and 5th... nevermind... i'm thinkin about puttin in 373's how much of a diff would that be...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wicked X said:
Bad
Why would you want to put in 4.56 gears? Way to much for a 4.3
will kill your top end. These motors don't pull enough rpm's.
I use a 4.10 and it just about tops out at the 1/4 mi. in 3rd gear
with 245/50/16 Nitto drag radials. It runs 2650 @70 in od and
gets about 22-25 mpg on a trip with 255/50/16 tires.

because gears effect your power and tq curves :rolleyes:

in the 1/4- higher # gears do nothing but increase MPH and decrease ET all else being equal.
They dont hurt your traction (just make it harder to get it, but you can still pull the same 60' you did before)

assuming you dont run out of gear or have to shift just before the traps- bigger gears help ;)

as far as daily driving.. ehh

top end and bottem end have nothing to do with gearing.
Trust me ;) i'm a mech engineering major

·
Urban Menace
121 Posts
Dont change out put of pwr at motor LwrdS10, just rear wheel pwr. I have stock 4.3 but in 5th, @70 mph my tach is at 2.5k rpm. WHY????? Shouldn't it be around 2k, or lower for good cruiseing / gas mileage?

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you want to go fast keep your 3.42 gears. 3.73 will yield about a 130mph top speed and thats if you soup your motor up enough to push it all the way to 6000 in 3rd gear, 4.10 will give you 118mph. 3.42 will give 140mph. its all what you want.
any questions email me [email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts