S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i lowered my truck 4/6 inches which meant i had to go from 27 inch diameter tires to 25 inch diameter(rim & tire) to keep the tires from rubbing the inside of the wheel well. what sucks is that i have 3.42 gears and couple that with the smaller tires which equals slow as $hit acceleration. what gears should i go with now?? or should i try to fit bigger tires? how much are gears nowadays? what kind? how much on install? thanks!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
It might be because you didnt reprogram your truck cause of a smaller tire. When i went from 245/40/18 to 215/40/17 it seemed like i was going way slower. Then i bought Jet's SCU2000 programmer and it went back to normal. Also, the Hypertech power programmer will change tire size and gear ratio.
Now if you want great launch, try getting 4.11's. They kick a**. I have 4.56's now, talk about holy shiznit. Take offs are great, but rpms get a little high around 100. I still have my top speed limiter on so i dont know if i can go any faster. To do a gear swap it cost me about $525. It takes one whole day, if you want email me, and i can get you the address for the place i went to, or just buy the orange county recycler and in the autos section they have a bunch of places that put their ads in there.
Gears = 175
Install(included gear oil)= 275
Install kit = 75

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
hey atomic wedge.

do you have a stick or auto.

with 410 gears my top speed would be 105 in 3rd. you dont want to get into overdrivce under full throttle in the auto tranny they will burn up. or do you have a 5 speed

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Burned up tranns?????????

We run hi speed roll on's all the time 5500 in OD, NEVER burned
out a tranny yet. Never did on my 96SS either.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i talked to bill about this. some s10s go into overdivce under full throttle some done. mine nor his did. he said the 4l60e is really bad from 3rd to 4th. the tranny will go quick like that because overdrivce is not meant to be used under full throttle

·
251 Posts
The 460le is stronger than you think it is. They put them behind
an LS1, It's a little diffrent but still the same basic trans in the
S-10 trucks. I have been hammering mine for 2 years. I ran my 96SS hard for 3 1/2 years and never had a trans prob. Many
trips down the 1/4 mi in both trucks. I think the HPP3 had a lot
to do with it living as it firms it up.

·
251 Posts
No,all engine still. Nos in the box on the work bench, no time to install it yet. Gettin my motorcycles ready for Daytona Bike week
March 1st. Will put the Nos on in the spring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey 98SS on Nos, i have an auto tranny. I already went through one tranny at 37000 miles, but it was under warranty and the gears were only in for about 10,000 at the time. I had it lifted on 33's then too.
I've never heard about burning up the tranny cause of the gears, but i am going to be changing to 3.73's or 4.10's. I havent really decided. At the salvage yards they were selling both of these axles for $275 each. Or i might try to find someone with a lifted truck that might want to swap. Later

·
251 Posts
33" tires????????

You should consider 4.56 gears for that size tire. It will take the strain off your trans. Use a gear calculator program and figure
out a gear set that will give you the ratio your motor and trans
can live with:thumbup: Your lucky the dealer gave you the new
trans under waranty:D

·
251 Posts
98SS

I don't plan to use the Nos on top speed roll ons in OD. Truck
tops out at 130 mph. I need to get the limiter raised higher in
the computer so i can do some serrious roll ons. Most of my
buddys have new camaro's, firebird's and such so they bury me
upstairs:cry:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
with the 4.10s your top speed in 3rd is 105. then you hit od. i think you will still need nos in overdrive to hand with the camaros. not trying to start anything but with the 4.10s in overdrive and using nos, say good by to the tranny. i ran into that problem when i had .410s. would not even come to the end of the truck useing nos in third and almost redlineing. all motor was a perfect set up but with bottle sucked.

and trust me once you use nos you will want to use it on top speed runs. if you take off at 55 to 100 will come in no time then you hit overdrive. ouch

·
251 Posts
I figured the 4.10 would be to much on Nos, sooooooo i will use
a taller tire, hummm have a set of 295-50-15 from my GN layin
around someware in the shop:idea: 27" in dia. if i remmber.
Will do the trans if i have to and the converter to make work
right:scary: We will see what will happen in the spring.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i had 275 60 15 and 108 was top speed in third. the 275 35 18 was a lot lighter and crazy out the hole but top speed was 100.

295 50 15 are 26.7 inches tall 103-105 top speed. if you get a converter right now you should run mid 14s on slicks. my buddy ran 15.1 alll motor with bolt ons and 342 gears. yank 3200 tt and slicsk 14.399

atomic wedge if you are going all motor then 410s are fine. you should run 14s no prob. if you want to use nos or blower dont go with 410s

·
251 Posts
Top Speed

I figured [email protected] in 3rd, Thats where my trans shifts into 4th.
So i should be able to make the 1/4 in third ok. Don't think it
will Mph that high anyway. Will still try for the 14s w/o the NOS
I have a set of Nitto Drag Radials mounted on a new set of
wheels in the shop waiting for the spring:thumbup:
Heres a pic of the 295s on the truck, They fit great:D

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts