S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I have a 1999 Chevy s10 w/ Auto Trans - Column Shifter. V6 4.3L with the 4L60E Tranny.

The Gear indicator(Digital) shows the gears (PRNDL) but doesnt show the gear the transmission is in. Everything on the cluster works as intended other than that. (Might have a check engine but I forget. Will have to double check next time.) Should also mention it wont engage the starter or reverse lights.

History:
I recently pulled both the tranny and the engine. I rebuilt the engine and reassembled. (replaced a lot of other stuff but irrelevant rn). I had a buddy help and he broke the Neutral Safety Switch when removing the connector. Also noticed the Yellow wire on the 4 pin connector was out of its connector. I replaced the Neutral Safety Switch and also put that Yellow Wire back in the connector. Now as stated above the gear its in is not illuminating and the truck wont start. If I jump the starter relay the truck starts fine. If I jump the 7 pin connector [ignition to starter] then turn the key it starts. I'm assuming the tranny isn't telling the computer what gears its in or something along the lines. I loosened the NSW and tried to adjust it in all directions to see if that had any effect which it didn't. I cant seem to find my code reader incase there is a CEL so im kinda stuck. I thought that yellow wire would have been the culprit or really any of those 4 but they seem fine. Ill upload my wiring diagram for the connectors for refrence.

Again C Jumped to E and turning the key will start it.

EDIT:
So I bought another nuetral safety switch and just put the connectors on and it still doesn't show the gear or start. Same symptoms as before

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
Check that none of the 11 pins are bent. If the connectors are seating fully I suspect your new switch is either defective or wasn't installed correctly. The trans should be in park and the switch's rotating section should be rotated clockwise all the way. Then be sure to press it straight on w/o rotating it. I used a fat screwdriver to rotate the hole.
I just repaired my 02 CC 2 days ago because of Transmission Range Switch issue. It's not just a neutral safety switch.
It lights up your indicator and also tells the PCM what gear you've selected. That effects idle speed among other things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check that none of the 11 pins are bent. If the connectors are seating fully I suspect your new switch is either defective or wasn't installed correctly. The trans should be in park and the switch's rotating section should be rotated clockwise all the way. Then be sure to press it straight on w/o rotating it. I used a fat screwdriver to rotate the hole.
I just repaired my 02 CC 2 days ago because of Transmission Range Switch issue. It's not just a neutral safety switch.
It lights up your indicator and also tells the PCM what gear you've selected. That effects idle speed among other things.
Its possible I installed it wrong then. When it came it had a set clip to keep it from rotating so I just indexed it and pushed it on the removed the lock clip. Didn't think I had to remove the lock clip and rotate it fully to the right. Speaking of idle speed it tends to idle a little rough and if you give it a quick rev it almost dies but I assumed it was because I don't have the 02 Sensors hooked up and I haven't connected the Y pipe to the headers.

So I should remove the NSW and rotate the center all the way to the right. Then make sure the vehicle is in park. Then index it straight on without letting it rotate and then adjust it. If im understanding you correctly. I also ordered more connectors to make sure there are absolutely no issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts