S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is my problem. when i drive at night, my lights dont turn on in my dash, i have to just about turn all the lights on in the truck to get them to light up. instead of getting them to turn on the wrong way, how could i fix it so when its dark out, they will light up like normal cause the knob to turn them higher or softer doesnt work its either all the way on or none at all. can any one help??? i'll try to explain it better if i need to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LOL...I just had the same problem today basically , must be something in the air. Well, if you haven't search this forum yet, (that is how I found out what the problem was) I'll just go and head and tell you it's your headlight dimmer switch. I'm about 99% sure. If you can't hear the chime or ringing sound that lets you know that your headlights on when you turn the knob to make the outside lights come on with your door open then you have a bad switch. Sure fire way to know is to take the switch out and sniff it. I know it sounds crazy, but if it smell burnt well that's your problem. Mines basically did what yours did, but it only work one time when I move the dimmer knob all the way up then it stopped working all together. Anyhoo, if you want to spend as little as possible try a salvage yard or eBay. I was going buy one on eBay, but I needed it ASAP. Also, most auto parts shops (autozone, advance AP) sell them for like 40 bucks plus tax with a lifetime, but you might have to wait a couple days.

BTW this is an amazing deal if you can wait it out a few days. I paid like 15 bucks more than this price at the junk yard, but only because I needed it today. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-Chevy-Chevrolet-S-10-Headlight-Switch-w-Dimmer_W0QQitemZ170126905360QQcmdZViewItem

BTW2, this forum rocks, I can find almost any solution I need for my truck. This forum saved me a lot of time and money. You guys ROCK!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL...I just had the same problem today basically , must be something in the air. Well, if you haven't search this forum yet, (that is how I found out what the problem was) I'll just go and head and tell you it's your headlight dimmer switch. I'm about 99% sure. If you can't hear the chime or ringing sound that lets you know that your headlights on when you turn the knob to make the outside lights come on with your door open then you have a bad switch. Sure fire way to know is to take the switch out and sniff it. I know it sounds crazy, but if it smell burnt well that's your problem. Mines basically did what yours did, but it only work one time when I move the dimmer knob all the way up then it stopped working all together. Anyhoo, if you want to spend as little as possible try a salvage yard or eBay. I was going buy one on eBay, but I needed it ASAP. Also, most auto parts shops (autozone, advance AP) sell them for like 40 bucks plus tax with a lifetime, but you might have to wait a couple days.

BTW this is an amazing deal if you can wait it out a few days. I paid like 15 bucks more than this price at the junk yard, but only because I needed it today. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-Chevy-Chevrolet-S-10-Headlight-Switch-w-Dimmer_W0QQitemZ170126905360QQcmdZViewItem

BTW2, this forum rocks, I can find almost any solution I need for my truck. This forum saved me a lot of time and money. You guys ROCK!
thanks man i wasnt sure wat it could be i thought it could be a short somewhere or a blown fuse. and i second ur opinion this site ROCKS :rock:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts