S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 Ext. Cab S-10 and I need to find a company or someone to cut my gas tank down for me so I can drag frame and will not put a hole in it. The gas tank is metal not plastic. ANY INFO. WILL REALLY HELP.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Lift it up by redrilling the mounting points so that it sits above the frame.

·
2.2 drifter
1,907 Posts
do a fuel cell??, that or do what zygote said

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
There is a company out that makes gas tanks for our trucks that are not quite as deep, they dont hang bellow the frame. Dont quote me, but I think its devious cutoms or something like that

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
One problem is not that the gas tank hangs lower, as in my case, however that it extends so far beyond the spring perch, that the rear of the tank can easily be dragged, and the only way to overcome that, is to get a fuel cell.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
you could see if there are any shops in your area that can weld a tight bead on something like that. then you could take the tank out and clean it and have the shop cut the bottom off and put a new one on higher. I had no previous welding experiece and I BUILT my own tank. Its only been two months but I havent had any probs yet

·
SOLD
7,551 Posts
you could see if there are any shops in your area that can weld a tight bead on something like that. then you could take the tank out and clean it and have the shop cut the bottom off and put a new one on higher. I had no previous welding experiece and I BUILT my own tank. Its only been two months but I havent had any probs yet

damn, u are a brave man. mad props.

:clap:

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
SlammedDime said:
One problem is not that the gas tank hangs lower, as in my case, however that it extends so far beyond the spring perch, that the rear of the tank can easily be dragged, and the only way to overcome that, is to get a fuel cell.
Well duh, lifting it up will help that out also. Originally mine was lower than the frame in the front and extended past the spring perch in the rear as you say. It's lifted an inch in the front and 3/4" in the rear and with the front jacked up and the rear laid out, there is clearance, and that's with the spring perches halfway dragged down. It will still fit under the cab with lifting it an inch.

Explain some more on it? The front xmember is 4 bolts in the side of the frame. Take em out, drill the holes higher, remount the xmember. The rear one is riveted in, knock the rivets out, drill holes higher, replace with bolts. Now I'm assuming the stock xmember will still fit under the bed with it lifted up. However I don't have the stock one, so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
396 Posts
that devious customs tank will it work if you use the kp4link? cause i thought that tank came with a different gas tank xmember or it seems like it does from the looks of the picture. and with the kp4link it having that gas tank xmember bracket can you use those 2 together or would it not work?

·
Soon to be bagged
128 Posts
i would go with what zYgoTe said unless you got the extra money to shell out to devious customs to get a new tank, i do know that if you have the metal tank then you will have no modifications to do when puttin in there new tank but if you have a plasitic tank then they said you will have to modify somethings to put it in

1 - 15 of 15 Posts