S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did some searching but came up short. to remove the gas tank crossmember i would cut off those "rivets" and just replace with bolts? let me know if this sounds right. thanks

·
Now owns an S-10
8,102 Posts
theres a thread somewhere on it. But i have a lot of tools, so i heated them with a torch, and used a air hammer with a sharp chisel to blow the head off, then i used a punch tip in the air hammer and punched out the rest of the rivet. Then i cut the crossmember apart over on the passenger side so it would be easier to take it out.

·
Now owns an S-10
8,102 Posts
newport news huh? I was down there for vacation last year, my g/f was born down there while her dad was stationed there. Pretty nice place.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
take a grinder and grind the rivets down smooth with rest of metal then use something to punch them out, i used an air hammer

then bolt the new crossmember in

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yeah, if you are doing it right you will get pissed. I did the same thing with the grinder and an air hammer, some came out easier than others. It feels good to throw the crossmember across the room when its out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, and your right, im already pissed and i havent really even started
:rant:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just cut mine out yesterday.
I first cut out the main portion with a sawzall a couple inches away from frame on both sides.

Then I ground down the rivets and beat the crap out of the portion still hanging in away from frame.

I did this because I dont have an air hammer to punch out the rivets.

And yes it does feel good when you get to throw the parts across your driveway.
Just dont hit your dogs. If you have a cat. Go ahead and try and hit it.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
i found it easier to go at the rivet from the side and just grind across, seemed to go faster than going from the top and just letting the whole thing shorten down by keeping the disc on top of it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts