S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've a 2002 S10 LS 3dr with ZQ8 suspension and lowered 3' front and rear. as far as 'issues' go, this is the least of my worries, but i thought i'd air it nonetheless... getting gas in the tank is a procedure, to say the least. no matter how i position the nozzle (and i've tried a few combinations) unless i luck out and get just the right amount of hand to trigger ratio applied at just the right angle, with the nozzle in just far enough, i may as well distract myself with a crossword. it'll kick out and stop pumping, or gas will spurt from the filler. adding $30 gas will take a good 5 minutes, although it seems longer... just one of those adorable little quirks, or is there malice aforethought?

·
Old Fart
3,961 Posts
Have you checked the hoses on the filler neck for kinks or collapse? I have an 03 Xtreme 3 door and don't have that much of a problem. Once in a while if I don't get the right position it will kick-off but a slight reposition usually takes care of the problem. I recently had to pull the bed to install a new fuel pump so I know all my hoses are in good shape and possitioned correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haven't checked that... is there a short cut to performing that proceduret? pulling the bed seems like entirely too much hassle - with the likelihood of screwing up something else the way my luck is running...

·
Old Fart
3,961 Posts
Just get under with a good flashlight and take a look at your hoses that connect the filler neck with the tank. If they need to be replaced pulling the bed is the easiest way to access the fuel system.

·
Been there Done it
9,000 Posts
Seems I read a while back that if you "top off" the tank you can fill the evap canister with fuel and will have the premature shut off issue if that happens. Has something to do with the air being displaced in the tank having nowhere to go.

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Old Fart
3,961 Posts
I have heard that as well when mine shuts off I go to the next $.05 or.10 and stop.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,340 Posts
I filled to the very top on all of my work trucks...never had an issue. 2001 AWD Safari 350K on the same pump.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,197 Posts
not sure if you have one- but some years/models have a check ball at the tank end of filler neck, also some had anti-syphon screens and or flaps that get stuck. You can remove- if you can get to the clamps- the filler hose and check both ends and the tank neck.I have a blazer with the check ball and had a s10 with a flap.Pains in the rear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so flat on my back, i took this image. back of fuel filler top left
thumbnail_IMG_20200811_175419 gas feed.jpg
... if this is the standard set up metal pipe, seems a tad constricted, no?

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,197 Posts
that is normal size- look at other end(tank end). And if that is a worm clamp,someone has been here already- factory is crimp clamp.

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is also a sign that the EVAP purge solenoid might be going bad. Usually get an engine light when it is fully dead. But it can be on the outs and a symptom is unable to fill your tank without it cutting off constantly. Rock auto has them for around $20 Autozone is $25ish. I just had to change it on a 04 Blazer I just bought. Had the same issue. Fixed it right away. Not sure where it is on the pickups but on the blazer its right in front of the tank under the tank shield.

·
It's mostly BS
2,805 Posts
This is also a sign that the EVAP purge solenoid might be going bad. Usually get an engine light when it is fully dead. But it can be on the outs and a symptom is unable to fill your tank without it cutting off constantly. Rock auto has them for around $20 Autozone is $25ish. I just had to change it on a 04 Blazer I just bought. Had the same issue. Fixed it right away. Not sure where it is on the pickups but on the blazer its right in front of the tank under the tank shield.
Don't you mean the vent solenoid? If the vent is stuck closed, it will affect filling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rimara - I'm inclined to agree with your diagnosis in favour of the vent solenoid, purely based on the fact that it's a s.o.b. to fill the tank with fuel, but there's no difficulty restarting nor does it run rough after refuelling...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...and whilst on the topic of minor repairs/issues, anyone on the forum have a preference for youtube aficionados who have vids of work on our vehicles? would love to check out a few 'how to' on various topics.

·
Old Fart
3,961 Posts
I just use the YouTube search to find the subject I need, works 80% of the time.

Reactions: ifm61
1 - 15 of 15 Posts