S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of gas mileage are you guys getting

I have a 4.3 and with my last road trip I got almost 350 out of a tank of gas, even before the "LOW FUEL" light came on...

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
sy1765 said:
14-18 mpg :(
Ya but isnt that a factor of boost tho? You cannot keep off the pedal.:D Is that without letting your foot be heavy?

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm totally a leadfoot too...oh wel..it's fun :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
20.75MPG average with 93 octane.

·
s-series owner
70 Posts
22-25 with the tonneau cover on,
slightly less with it off.
That's an estimate.

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, you don't count...that's with a 2.5...:p

·
s-series owner
70 Posts
Originally poster by Psychobrick:
Yeah, you don't count...That's with a 2.5
You make up the difference with more horsepower under the hood. One advantage the 4.3 has that the 2.5 lacks.
Everyone tells me I need to drop in a V8, but I keep
telling them I enjoy the mileage.

·
The Beauty of All Wheel Drive
44 Posts
I get around 16.5 in the city, I WOULD PROBALLY GET BETTER if I kept my foot out of it.

John

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1quikAWD said:
I get around 16.5 in the city, I WOULD PROBALLY GET BETTER if I kept my foot out of it.

John
Yeah, you prolly would, but that ruins all the fun :p

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I never exceed the speed limit by more than 5 mph. But get to the limit as fast as she goes, have a ton of mods and average 23 mpg. And its a 4x4, heavy pig!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drive Like Grandpa, 18-19 mpg (75% highway). I have a stock 1994 S-10 X-cab, 4.3L TBI, Automatic w/ OD, with nearly no mods at this time.

I am about to put it in the shop because of low power at 50-75 mph in Overdrive, and an occasional “check engine light” and varying idle speeds when stopped.

The trouble is, when in Overdrive at 50-75 mph the engine seems to be struggling. It goes into passing gear for even the slightest uphill, but Regular Drive “D” seems to over-rev above 50 mph. It seems to have a very tall differential but I am not yet sure just what ratio it is.

Two days ago I ended up with oversized snow tires on the rear (235 / 75 / 15). They lug the engine a bit more during acceleration, but it looks like they may allow me to stay out of overdrive at 65 mph. Which is actually about 62 mph on the speedometer now.

I am wondering about,

Changing base spark timing to try for “power band” at 65mph,

Getting a chip, (but which one?)

Going to very small tires and using overdrive,

Hiring someone to change the rear end,

·
Your Mom Goes To College
749 Posts
Isn't it bad to run the gas that low in these vehicles? When I got my fuel pump replaced the guy told me to never let it dip below a quarter of a tank because then the fuel pump doesn't get cooled properly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
between 380-420 miles a tank at 17.1 gallons, for a 2.8 5speed
my 4.3 gets less than 300 miles per tank

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
scomp23 said:
Isn't it bad to run the gas that low in these vehicles? When I got my fuel pump replaced the guy told me to never let it dip below a quarter of a tank because then the fuel pump doesn't get cooled properly.
I heard the same. Funny, bunch of people I know round here tell me how they're
always going through fuel pumps on their s-series.. But I never had trouble with
mine, I always keep my tank as full as possible. :dunno:

·
'98 Gnome-ahh
234 Posts
with my '96 blazer i get an average of 16- i do about 50/50 highway/city... and have a bit of a leadfoot stoplight to stoplight... :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts