S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, my 2.5l 5 speed is only averaging about 20 mpg...is this normal or is something wrong...it doesn't seem good enough to me. what is everyone else getting???

·
Aftermath (Canuck side)
346 Posts
couldnt tell ya man, I pound the sh*t outa mine, so i dont get ANY gas economy hahaha

It just needs some TLC and all my foot can give it is, Tempered Leaded Foot!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
of course all this is just my humble opinion but i htink it is really hard to get good gas mileage out of these trucks because they are not fual injected and the fact that everythin is geared so that it has a lot of bottom end. our fith gear isnt that great at reducing rpms on the highway and the fact most of us have a 4:10 rear end ratio makes it even worse. i get about 24-26 and i dont a mixture of driving but mostly back country roads at about 65 mph with the tailgate up.

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
but i htink it is really hard to get good gas mileage out of these trucks because they are not fual injected
Wha? My 2.5 is fuel injected, TBI unit.

our fith gear isnt that great at reducing rpms on the highway and the fact most of us have a 4:10 rear end ratio makes it even worse
Mine is a 3.42 rear.

·
Registered
272 Posts
TBI on the 2.5 started in either '86 or '87, I'm not sure which. I know my '87 has it. its a 4 speed, and it has 3.73 rear gears, and gets about 20-24 city-highway.

·
Goin' Nowhere Fast
3,340 Posts
5spd
TBI A code
3.73s
beat the living SHIT out of it every time I sit in it
20-23mpg, I think....can't complain ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine is a 90 so it had tbi. and i don't know what rear gear it has but it is a five speed. also does anyone how much it costs to get new synchros. my 3 and 4 synchros are shot.

·
Goin' Nowhere Fast
3,340 Posts
it's probably a helluva lot simpler and cheaper to just buy another tranny from a junkyard...synchros themselves are not that cheap and installing them is a pain in the ass (leave it to the pros) and if you do leave it to the pros it's REALLY expensive (have to tear your tranny apart).

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
I've got an 84 Olds with the 2.5 and it's TBI.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Jschoenwetter14 said:
hey, my 2.5l 5 speed is only averaging about 20 mpg...is this normal or is something wrong...it doesn't seem good enough to me. what is everyone else getting???
My 91 5-spd has always gotten 27 in the summer/23+ in the winter, since the day I got it new.

In the last few months it dropped to 20, but I have tuned and just put new cat and cat-back on it today. Hopefully it's back up there.

Seth

·
Registered
224 Posts
My 88 5speed tbi got real close to 30 mpg on my last trip to Omaha Ne from Southern Ontario. I get less in town haven't bothered to actually calculate but got darn near Chicago from here (600ish miles) on one tank of gas.

I'll be making the same trip tonight, its a bit colder out I'll try to keep a better record of the mileage.

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Mine maybe gets 20 mpg, since it's a 4-speed, and it's still got an ugly topper on it (with a carrying rack bolted on and it makes tons of noise).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gas Mileage

Mine is a '91 5 spd. Haven't checked the rear axle ratio yet. I did a tune up but there is still a pretty good miss in it so it runs rough. Still been getting 20-24 with it.

Derek

·
cats taste like chicken
1,419 Posts
rhino21 said:
my '91 2.5l gets about 26 in the summer and 19 in the winter.........
same with my 88, but i have a new 2.5 in her with only about 11k on the ticker

1 - 20 of 40 Posts