S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my fuel pump and put everything back together right but now I get 12mpg and smell gas near the gas tank. I already bent down the tabs that hold in the lock ring and cleaned the O ring with fuel injector cleaner and that helped a tiny bit. I'm thinking of just covering the whole sending unit in caulk and then just buying a ranger if that doesn't work because the S10 has given me way too much trouble. Anything else I could do?
 

·
peace and big boobs to u
Joined
·
6,026 Posts
when i changed my pump i didn't have to "bend" any tabs? maybe i did it wrong but i just tapped the ring off like a nut and then tapped it back on again in the opposite direction.


what year and motor truck do you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 91 2.8. The ring seemed like it went in too easily so I bent the tabs down to give it some pressure. Today I was looking at it and it looks like it was leaking from where the filler hose meets the tank so I took it off, cleaned it, and tightened it as tight as it'll go. I'll have to see tomorrow if it's still leaking. Over the last 2 days it lost as much gas sitting in a parking lot/driveway as it did driving.
 

·
ASE certified MasterTech
Joined
·
8,695 Posts
Did you put in a new seal when you replaced the pump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Poptart.
This may sound like a stupid question but how "crusty" are the steel lines coming from the top of the tank?

The reason for asking is the '91 I bought this last week had a gas leak. 1st thought; tank. Investigated and the leak was at the top of the tank.

Lifted the box a bit to get a better view and while the truck was running a small stream the size of a sewing needle was spraying from one of the lines.

Removed the box to get a better look and the lines had become so rusted there was a pin hole in the main supply line. I debated on an attempted repair but the hole was in a spot that wouldn't have made for a easy fix. Plus the lines were so bad I figured I would create more problems by an attempted "cobble job".

Solution for me; Bit the bullet and purchased a new sending unit, sprayed liberally with "Fluid Film" after installation to prevent further rust, install box.

Hope this helps.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top