S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching thru threads and haven't seen my exact problem so I figured I would ask.... My fuel gauge was not working at all when I purchased the truck, the previous owner stated he put a crappy advance auto pump in there and he was sure that was the problem. So I pulled the bed today and put a brand new ac delco one in today. Before I connected the wires from the new harness me and my mechanic buddy twisted the wires together in the correct places and the fuel gauge still doesn't work. We tried some different possibilities and still no change. What happens now is with key off it shoes fuel level around 1/4 tank which may be accurate( I'm not sure how much fuel was in the tank), when key in on position it jumps quickly to full bouncing around then goes to empty and stays there. No movement while driving or idling. It cant be in the wires from pump to truck harness they were checked, checked,and checked again. Is it the gauge or wiring somewhere else? I'm really pissed I just spent 210 bucks and pulled my bed with no cover in a damn snow storm here in nc and My problem was not fixed!! We did check the old pump with an ohm meter and moved the float up and down and that seemed to be working. So that tells me right there the problem is somewhere else....... By the way it's a 97 4.3 5 speed xtra cab zr2. Thanks to any help offered!!!! Neil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I found the module, pulled it out, inspected it for any burnt spots and whatnot, re installed it since I can't find a replacement just yet, and now the truck doesn't t start right away like it has been. It still starts, just a few extra revolutions and a smell of fuel.... Wtf? I'm on the look out for a replacement but any idea what happened?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went and filled it up just a few minutes ago........ And bam!!!!!! Fuel gauge working!!!! Even drove it around awhile just to be sure and it IS working!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts