S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
If 2wd hasn't scared you off already, hope you stick around. I'm buying the first truck I owned back out from under my dad to run in the Nebraska Gambler 500 this year. Its a 1990 S10 Tahoe, extended cab with the 4.3, 150,000 miles, but the body is rotting off around it. Frame is mint, but the body is just, no. Has air bags under the rear shocks good for 3 inches (if they would stay inflated). Motor is great, really torquey. Will pull the front tires off the ground when the wheeler trailer is hooked up 馃槄 The (I'm assuming for the year) 4L60e is really smooth in this truck, shifts like it should. I'm more looking for inspiration for the build since I've only ever seen 1 other 1st gen, 2wd S10 while scouring the internet. I'm thinking Dash delete, after market gauges in its place, fenders and bed cut out, run 33's or so on the back, maybe a cheaply made flat bed. Traction bars, weight in the back, Electric cooling fans, door delete with bars in their place. CB, scanner, the works. Not really a budget for this $600 beater so far, just piecing it together as we go. I'd really appreciate too hear ideas and tips for how we can build this. No, we aren't selling it for a 4x4, we aren't running "cheaters class" (We just want a challenge, not against the class). Pics and updates will be posted soon.
0.jpg

Registered
Don't mess with the interior. Just time and money you can spend on making it more functional.

There are 3" lift spindles out there and parts to get the rear higher for bigger/better tires. That's what I would focus on in your case.

From my impression of Gambler the best combo is something cheap, but reliable + decent tires + having fun with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Don't mess with the interior. Just time and money you can spend on making it more functional.

There are 3" lift spindles out there and parts to get the rear higher for bigger/better tires. That's what I would focus on in your case.

From my impression of Gambler the best combo is something cheap, but reliable + decent tires + having fun with it.
Good point on the interior. I need to at least get my temp and fuel gauge working though.

Registered
Fuel gauge is probably the fuel sender in the tank. Pretty common issue on these trucks. I usually pull the bed to get to the pump/sender rather than try to drop the tank.

Temp gauge is likely the sensor on the engine.

Stuff like that can be really easily diagnosed with the factory service manuals. After learning the hard way several times I turn to my own whenever I run into something like these issues.

You'll want both the manual and the electrical diagnosis books.

1990 Chevrolet Chevy S-10 S10 Truck TRUCKS Service Shop Repair Manual Set W EWD | eBay1990 Chevrolet Chevy S-10 S10 Truck TRUCKS Service Shop Repair Manual Set W EWD | eBay

Grab that set and it will be the best $45 you'll spend on the truck. Pro-tip make an offer for $5-10 less than he's asking. I bet he'll take it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel gauge is probably the fuel sender in the tank. Pretty common issue on these trucks. I usually pull the bed to get to the pump/sender rather than try to drop the tank.

Temp gauge is likely the sensor on the engine.

Stuff like that can be really easily diagnosed with the factory service manuals. After learning the hard way several times I turn to my own whenever I run into something like these issues.

You'll want both the manual and the electrical diagnosis books.

1990 Chevrolet Chevy S-10 S10 Truck TRUCKS Service Shop Repair Manual Set W EWD | eBay1990 Chevrolet Chevy S-10 S10 Truck TRUCKS Service Shop Repair Manual Set W EWD | eBay

Grab that set and it will be the best $45 you'll spend on the truck. Pro-tip make an offer for $5-10 less than he's asking. I bet he'll take it.
I already have the service manual. I've replaced the fuel pump a grand total of 3 times on this truck within a year. I was chasing down electrical gremlins until I ran a new ground wire off of it. I also need to figure out why it just kind of dies at stoplights. It'll start up fine and I can leave it idle in the driveway for however long I need too, but occasionally I'll be in town and stop for a light, the truck will just die. But it also starts right back up?

Registered
Do you have the electrical and diagnosis book? That one has the real gold for chasing down "random hard to fix" issues.

Registered
Looks like a cool project. Love the 1st gens. My 2nd gen is roughly the same color as yours. I'm in Nebraska as well. I need to do some research on the gambler 500....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts