S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to buy a powerdyne s/c i have the 180hp 4.3 and only thing done is an intake. just curious what kind of gains you guys are seeing that have used them..thanks for the help..

rob

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S/C ZQ8, is that wrhp or crank hp? either way, 50 hp boost isn't bad. well worth the money i'm getting ready to pay.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i'd guess 60-75 horse at the flywheel

later

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been talked out of using the 9 psi pulley by a couple people. I commute every day to work, so longevity and reliability are important to me. I am happy with the power as it is now, so I'm leaving it alone. There are a few guys on this board that use the 9 psi pulley and have no problems.

BTW, using the HP calculator, my truck went 16.88 in the 1/4 mile stock, which it needs 190 hp for 3850 lbs to get down the track in that time. My best run to date is 14.82, which says the truck needs 280 hp with this weight to make it in that time. Sure I have some other bolt-ons, but I know the s/c is where most of the power came from, maybe only 20 hp at best with the other mods.

later

768 Posts
SlamminChevy said:
S/C ZQ8, is that wrhp or crank hp? either way, 50 hp boost isn't bad. well worth the money i'm getting ready to pay.
The 180 hp is rated at the crank -- usually equates to around 140-150 rwhp. The gain of 50 is in rwhp. You can expect to put down somewhere around 200 rwhp with just the S/C. With 7 psi and a few other bolt-ons I dynoed 221 rwhp (intake, cat-back, ignition, e-fan, and a couple others).

The 9 psi pulley is not really an advisable idea if this truck is your daily driver. It decreases the longevity and reliability of the S/C. Granted, myself and a few other members have been running 9 psi for a while (about a year for me), but the internal belt is a "regular maintenance" item that will need to be replaced no matter what and the 9 psi pulley will push that interval a little sooner. And the extra 10-20 hp you might gain from it really isn't worth reducing the longevity unless you're just using it for racing.

If you want more power, look into other mods and leave the S/C as it is. The best mod you can do to complement the gains the S/C gives you would be headers and an exhaust.

·
Primed And Ready
345 Posts
if your only making another 50 hp? whats the point of spending that much money? (not flamming just wondering)

768 Posts
primus said:
if your only making another 50 hp? whats the point of spending that much money? (not flamming just wondering)
Because putting every other bolt-on available costs about $1500 to $2000 and you'll see only about 20-25 rwhp gain from ALL of them combined, so 50 rwhp gain from around $2500 isn't a bad trade. The only other mod that can net you nearly as much rwhp would be an overhaul of the valve-train (cam and rockers, specifically) -- and even then a cam and rockers might only net 30 rwhp, but the WORK involved is much more than what's needed for an S/C install.

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thatnks guys, that helped me out alot, sorry for all the questions, i'm just super new to this. I bought it last night and got a great deal from JmhDwnsth who's been trying to sell his for a while. I bought it used, but 1500 vs. 2500 sounded pretty good to me..
I've decided against the 9psi pulley b/c of what you guys told me. It is my daily driver plus i'm in a wheelchair..so i need it to be super reliable. Is it hard to put on?? Or should i start looking into places that can install it for me? thanks again for all the help..

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
S/C ZQ8, i thought of something else bro...you said the best mod folowing up the s/c would be headers and exhaust...there are so many types (not brands) of headers...what would i want to buy? i mean there is the air induction ones..and i know the s/c i bought won't fit 01-02 unless it has headers. Also...what exhaust do you reccomend? whoever owned the truck before me is running duals off a split muffler of some sort. i know for 4.3's running duals actually causes a loss of power..something about loss of back pressure or compression? thanks again..

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
768 Posts
Myself, I went with Edelbrock headers (and y-pipe) and a Dynomax cat-back system (the muffler for which I later switched to a higher flow Dynomax).

I've known people that run Gibson headers and cat-back and are very happy with them. The Gibson exhaust gives a nice low, mellow tone -- sounds good and flows rather well. The headers will deepen the exhaust tone nicely as well, and the Gibsons are well made.

As to which exhaust: that's easy -- match up the truck body (std. vs. ext. cab, long bed vs. short bed, etc.) and you're done. Headers -- those you'll need to find out if the truck has AIR-injection or not. There will be a tube coming off the passenger side manifold going to a pump if you do have it. If the manifold has no tubes or anything like that, then you don't. If you're not certain, snap a few pics and see about getting them posted. Let me check around and see if there are any other identifiers to recognized AIR-injection.

Installation of the S/C: the manual isn't all that great (well, it stinks), but everything is rather straightforward, and if you have some technical/mechanical inclination then you shouldn't have too hard of a time. I took my time and checked and re-checked everything, and took extra time to make certain everything was neatly tucked away (from previous installs as well) and made liberal use of the 12-pack of Bud I had handy -- overall I took WAY longer than it normally takes, but I'm a perfectionist. My install was over the course of 18 hours or so spread over 3 days -- but a good estimate would be from start to finish about 6-7 hours. It isn't hard, but having 2 or 3 extra hands is helpful!

If you've got any questions, post up and any one that's been through would, I'm sure, be glad to help! Or feel free to email or PM me.

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok great...i'll have to check it out to see if i've got the air injection. I think i'll go with both Gibson headers and exhaust..i like to keep brands matching...just my thing i guess. Also will i need a y pipe for that set up?

768 Posts
SlamminChevy said:
ok great...i'll have to check it out to see if i've got the air injection. I think i'll go with both Gibson headers and exhaust..i like to keep brands matching...just my thing i guess. Also will i need a y pipe for that set up?
A y-pipe wouldn't be a bad idea, but see how the cat-back and headers work for you. Adding the y-pipe may end up killing your torque, but it might add some upper end power. See how the current mods work for you then plan the next one. For a y-pipe, if you do decide to go that route, you can either get one custom made or you can try the SLP y-pipe -- the SLP will only work with an automatic, though.

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, thanks so much for all the help bro. if it's cool with you i'll PM you if i have any other questions... thanks again.

·
Kickin' Crew Cab
55 Posts
I am getting ready to install a powerdyne on my C.C. 4x4 with the headers...(I have the Gibson catback on it already) I was wondering if a cold air intake would help in getting the O2 to the SC....

Thanks

768 Posts
Yes, a CAI would help on an S/Ced motor a bit more than it helps on a N/A motor -- the only difficulty would be running the PCV, but a $15.00 pop-in K&N filter fixes that problem.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
KCustom said:
I am getting ready to install a powerdyne on my C.C. 4x4 with the headers...(I have the Gibson catback on it already) I was wondering if a cold air intake would help in getting the O2 to the SC....

Thanks
Especialy since the powerdyne uses the stock airbox.

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I've been told that i will have to have my chip and ecu sent out to have the chip reburned to compensate for the extra air. I downloaded the install manual this is what it states:

Suggested add-ons:
While your new Powerdyne Supercharger is designed
to work flawlessly with your stock vehicle,
many customers ask us what else they can
do to their vehicle to even further improve the
performance. We would make the following suggestions:

1. The Superchips micro tuner can be purchased
to Achieve the maximum tuning of your
vehicle. Make sure when ordering that you
specify the Supercharged version.

2. A good “Cat-Back” exhaust system will free
up your exhaust back pressure and add substantial
horsepower. We recommend the Borla
stainless steel system.

So my question is: will buying the superchips micro tuner do the same thing as sending my chip out to be "burned"? Seems to me that the microtuner is going to tell the engine to compensate more fuel for all the extra air right?

PS my thread has been voted 5 stars!?!? :02redxbla

1 - 20 of 44 Posts