S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my next plans are to make truck faster N/A- so im going to get edelbrock headers/y-pipe and 4.10 gears upgraded from 3.42's- as well as a cut-out in the exhaust system.

So upgrades-
Edelbrock headers/y-pipe & cut-out +
4.10's (from 3.42's) +
JBA wires, MSD coil, MSD inline fuel pump +
Better tires +
AEM intake and CFM-tech TB blade = prolly 30 to 35whp?

the gears alone should be good for 2 or 3 tenths correct- im really looking for a top end and i know the best way 4 this is a cam but i dont have the money yet so any other opinions?

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so best bang for buck = long tubes/gears/RR's- but i want to do the heads all together- CAN the rockers be put in while the heads are still on the motor in the truck?

will those long tube fit my 2002- b/c i am using the edelbrocks because they will fit w/ little modification

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
02_Vortech said:
so best bang for buck = long tubes/gears/RR's- but i want to do the heads all together- CAN the rockers be put in while the heads are still on the motor in the truck?

will those long tube fit my 2002- b/c i am using the edelbrocks because they will fit w/ little modification
You can bolt in rockers with the heads on the truck. If you decide to do a cam you can just have them do a custom grind knowing you have 1.6 rockers. I kind of like the idea of a higher ratio rocker arm, the lifter doesn't have to move as far, and the spring has better leverage at controlling the lifter. You would need rockers, studs, and valve covers.

As far as longtubes, the newest truck i have seen them on is grannite guy's, and that is a '95(if my memory is correct). He had some clearence issues with the a-arm on the passenger side if i remember correct. It involved a little bit of grinding. Pictures can be found in his cpi to carb thread.

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
valve covers from where? also how much do the 1.6rr's give me as far as horsepower? 15? 20whp?

and what maybe a 3 hour install time?

also which ones should i get?- the pro magnum roller rockers or the magnum steel?

and the parts list should be
1.6roller rockers
ARP gm head studs?????
where can i get the right valve covers?

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
You need the older metal valve covers, you can get chrome ones on ebay for $30.

Install time, depends on how good you are at adjusting rockers. But, it shouldn't take too long.

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
rat said:
You need the older metal valve covers, you can get chrome ones on ebay for $30.

Install time, depends on how good you are at adjusting rockers. But, it shouldn't take too long.
should i have a shop do it? also what bolts do i need- ARP conversion studs?

what about the covers?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-GMC-VALVE-COVERS-CENTER-BOLT-85-93-V6-4-3L-W-BOLT_W0QQitemZ8055875711QQcategoryZ33627QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also do you think i should try the Long tubes or just go with the edelbrock headers/y-pipe for $300 more :(

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts

·
it looks stock.. kinda..
638 Posts
If you're running hydraulic lifters, a lower ratio rocker with more lift at the cam will give the valve spring less mechanical advantage to collapse the lifter than vice versa. Anytime you increase the output with the same input, you're trading mechanical advantage to get it.

If you're running solid lifters, then who cares? I doubt anyone is, however.

Teeleton

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts