S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the cluster and not sure how to test it to see whats wrong.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Electronic instrument Hardware programmer Audio equipment

Green Light Blue Circuit component Electronic engineering

Green Circuit component Hardware programmer Gas Electrical wiring

volts gage works fine
fuel gage stopped working 2 months ago
temp, oil, speedo, and odo stopped working 1 month ago all at same time.
shift light works fine
check engine light works fine
instr fuse is fine

im looking for corrosion but only found some on the fuel gage prongs and one of the contacts on the main plug to the cluster.

also the dash lights have been out for a year but the heater control lights work and are dimmable.

any guesses what is causing this? can my cluster be saved?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Electronic instrument Bumper

·
B4U Task Force Admin
33,534 Posts
Use a pencil eraser to clean up the circuit board contacts. they don't look bad, but it couldn't hurt. What does the dash side connector look like?? Bent pins or anything?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use a pencil eraser to clean up the circuit board contacts. they don't look bad, but it couldn't hurt. What does the dash side connector look like?? Bent pins or anything?
pencil eraser. I wish I would have thought of that it sounds safer than what i did.. I used a qtip and wd-40 followed by a qtip and lighter fluid (naptha). I hope I didnt ruin it, i tried a bit of scotcbrite at first but then quickly changed to the qtip. I wish I would have tried the eraser first. I think I saw some corrosion on one of the prongs in the truck but its dark now and raining, I have to wait till tomorrow. Im hoping for a good outcome. The housings did clean up very nice I must say. Hot water and dawn dishsoap did the trick. It would be great to get all my gages and lights working again. After that I have to replace the window and the window track (thats where the moisture has been coming from). One step at a time to get this old girl back in shape. Maybe by then I will have finally figured out what kind of stance / wheels and tires I want.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I removed the cluster and not sure how to test it to see whats wrong.

View attachment 365477
View attachment 365474
View attachment 365475
volts gage works fine
fuel gage stopped working 2 months ago
temp, oil, speedo, and odo stopped working 1 month ago all at same time.
shift light works fine
check engine light works fine
instr fuse is fine

im looking for corrosion but only found some on the fuel gage prongs and one of the contacts on the main plug to the cluster.

also the dash lights have been out for a year but the heater control lights work and are dimmable.

any guesses what is causing this? can my cluster be saved? View attachment 365478
Unplugging and repluging the connector oft reestablish inop circuits...........
Dash lights circuit on plug can be easily tested for 12v + with test light once identified. Assume you've service manual for the vehicle for reference. It'll come in handy.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you are right about disconnecting and reconnection. Maybe because it dislodges the corrosion. yes I have the Service manual and also the 1992 Electrical diagnosis and wiring diagrams . Unfortunately it only goes up to page 262 and I need the reference charts from the missing pages. I removed the cluster, cleaned the housings then cleaned some corroision off the contacts and applied a light film of Permatex dielectric grease on the bulb contacts and the main plug contacts. I plan to do the same to the plug in the truck tomorrow at sunrise. Also the contacts on the light switch will be cleaned and greased.

I had my 12v power supply at the ready to check the gages but I didnt have a diagram to show which contacts go to what and where the ground is so I was out of luck there. I dont dare open the case up do I? Well I will try to reconnect it tomorrow and if there is no improvement I may open the case and see if there is any corrosion in there or loose connections. Sure would be nice to have those missing pages though. 30 bucks for a complete manual, Im not sure well see how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I hope you are right about disconnecting and reconnection. Maybe because it dislodges the corrosion. yes I have the Service manual and also the 1992 Electrical diagnosis and wiring diagrams . Unfortunately it only goes up to page 262 and I need the reference charts from the missing pages. I removed the cluster, cleaned the housings then cleaned some corroision off the contacts and applied a light film of Permatex dielectric grease on the bulb contacts and the main plug contacts. I plan to do the same to the plug in the truck tomorrow at sunrise. Also the contacts on the light switch will be cleaned and greased.

I had my 12v power supply at the ready to check the gages but I didnt have a diagram to show which contacts go to what and where the ground is so I was out of luck there. I dont dare open the case up do I? Well I will try to reconnect it tomorrow and if there is no improvement I may open the case and see if there is any corrosion in there or loose connections. Sure would be nice to have those missing pages though. 30 bucks for a complete manual, Im not sure well see how it goes tomorrow.
Just paid $700 for OE 2005 GTO manual set needed on customer car. Cheap for needed info on this rare aussie GM hotrod.
(It's billed to the repair)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
700 bucks! I should be grateful the one I need is only $30. But I have nobody to bill but myself.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i checked the contacts at the plug and there was corrosion. i spent a goodly amount of hours now on cleaning all contacts to bright shiny clean, put dielectric grease, lovingly washed the plastic housings with dawn dish soap, detailed the cluster and clear plastic view window and carefully installed everything back the way it was without breaking a single brittle plastic clip. I have to tell you ut looks beautiful! But it doesnt work any better. speedo, odo, water temp, oil pressure, fuel gage doesnt work. only thing that works is the volts gage, brights bulb, check engine light, brake light, thats it. It was a total failure. but hey the 2.5 runs like a champ. I dont know where to look now. suggestions?
Product Wood Office equipment Gas Machine

Office equipment Wood Gas Motor vehicle Ammunition belt

Hand Circuit component Finger Passive circuit component Electronic component

Musical instrument Hood Guitar accessory Bumper Motor vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts