S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks im lookin at this weekend buying a Harwood hood scoop and putting in on my blazer hood. I have a 1996 chevy s-10 blazer. Im wanting to make it a functional hood scoop though. Does anyone have any pointers or any links on how I could do this.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
I haven't seen any for sale, I looked around quite a bit. Like Indigo said, you can cut out one but that would just be stupid considering it'd let in all the rain and other sh*t floating around out there. If you're really that intrested make one, look up some old snorkel parts and get er done. Or you could just go with a cowl induction, that'd work and they are available :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
He said Harwood scoop.....they go on your stock hood, and have to be cut out...how is going with a Harwood stupid, and making your own feasable? if he asking about functional meaning actual ram air set up to the engine..then i cant help ya. thats all i was saying

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
do you just have the stock 4.3? If so you've gotta be nuts. That scoop would stick up as high as the roof. But I guess you would be able to cut a hole anywhere in the hood for the cold air to come in. Looks kinda like too much rice IMO. But good luck in whatever you do and let me know if you need any fiberglass tips on blending it in.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
mayerichm said:
do you just have the stock 4.3? If so you've gotta be nuts. That scoop would stick up as high as the roof. But I guess you would be able to cut a hole anywhere in the hood for the cold air to come in. Looks kinda like too much rice IMO. But good luck in whatever you do and let me know if you need any fiberglass tips on blending it in.
why would it be nuts, if he had a 4.3? and judging by the picture, that would be no where near as tall as the hood.. dont know why you would think thta.... and as for rice?? you guys throw that term around to much. id like you to show me an import with a pro street/drag racing style snorkle hood scoop

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
looks like rice? i think its sweet i would just bring it to a body shop or center the scoop(yes you need to measure). get it perfect then trace it and get out the sawz all. make sure you cut about an 3/8 in. in side your lines so if you go too small you can always fix it. when cutting out the piece in the scoop it self use the sawz all for major pieces and then take out the dremel and cut it around the edges till theres about 3/8 inch over hang, to keep the hood strong.

·
32,797 Posts
German_Xtreme said:
Pro-street induction scoops on a 180 hp engine are rice IMO
His Blazer has 190 hp.

but it's still a ricey idea. Performance wise, you'd get better performance from spending the money on a real intake system or other actual engine mods, instead of that. That hod is made for vehicles with the air filter sitting on top of the engine (old V8s), the Blazers filter is too far over to the side, you'd have to rig up some sort of backtracking ducting which wouldn't flow that well anyways.

If you want to just appear fast do the hood, even those those that know about stuff will just laugh at it. If you want to do it for performance gains, it won't work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My cars going through a paintjob im trying to get as many exterior mods done as possible. (hood scoop, front bumper cover, roll pan, and stuff like that) I was thinking about removing the whole factory air intake unit and making my own. Iv never done this before though and was just asking for some tips and some knowledge on how to do this. I was thinking about having a hood scoop then have a square airfilter under that. I know there are some electronic stuff and things like that. Could yall school me on the intake system and how it works so I could make my own setup please. My car is gonna be anything but riced out im planning on making it a hopper, but first things first. Thanks, Chris

·
Red S-10
11 Posts
Im not positive because i have a tbi setup but i think all that connects to the stock intake are vaccum lines and in that case you can plug them off and then you can just run a filter of of the throttle body which would be right under the hood scoop

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Only thing you have a MAF (mass air flow sensor) to worry about. To make it functional is not hard but to make it water proof is the hard part. All you need is 2.5in(I think) piping then just 90 degree bend straight back with the maf in route for a cowl or 90 degree bend forward for a scoop with the maf in route. But water is the issue now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts