S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've spent a few hours looking through the forum to find an answer to this question, but I have not been successful, so I figure it's just time to ask straight out. What do I need to upgrade a fuel system on a 2002 S-10? I would like to essentially re-do my fuel system from the ground up. I do not like the idea of a $100 fuel filter and am planning on installing a forced induction system at some point here in the near future. So has it been done before? Could it just be as easy a replacing the current fuel pump with a fuel pump for a 99 or earlier model? Would a fuel system from a 4.3L s-10 work? Thanks for your time.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
Accel makes replacement injectors,the fuel pump is a different story.The pump and the fuel level sending unit are on unit so you would have to install an inline fuel pump to raise the pressure.There are a couple memebers that are boosted that have not upgraded the fuel pump and every thing seems to be fine.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
if you installed a in-line pump thats more powerful than the in-tank pump wouldnt the intank pump not allowe enough fuel through for the inline? I would think it would be the same as having 2 pressure regulators on a paintball gun (using this cus i used to be really into that stuff) Like if you had a low pressure regulator on the CA tank set at 250, and another regulator mounted in line at 500, then the second regulator would be pointless...

I dunno

·
Registered Abuser
2,375 Posts
are the stock injectors 12lbs?
Where is the stock fuel pressure regulator?
Will a Cavy fuel rail fit on an s-dime?

·
BMW Parts Dept.
434 Posts
Erron, as best as I can tell we have 12.6 lb/hr injectors, the regualtor is on the rail, or more or less is part of the rail. I'm not positve but I believe the cavy's have a very similar fuel rail. I have heard of the regulator being in different locations on some 2.2's. You best bet for injectors is to get the ones from a the GM supercharger kti for the 2.2 cavvy's and see if you can't get the reflash for the injectors done at a GM dealership or if you can order a reflashed ECM from GM with the injectors.

As for a pump I'll be looking into it very soon to work with my turbo kit. As well as a completely new fuel system alltogether. If it's possible I will offer it.

shafferius, sorry to hear that you have flex-fuel on your truck, it may not be as easy as just replacing your pump or any other componet of your fuel sys. As ethanol fuel, I believe uses a different air to fuel mixture than gasoline (14.7:1, I believe). There must be some kind of senors included in a flex-fuel setup to let the stock computer know how much fuel to dump in??

-Sean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... then what about switching out to the ecu and fuel system from a non-flexfuel model? (i.e. 99 model year)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ARRRGG!! No I was just being a dumb @$$! What I thought was an electrical line is actually just a fuel line with heat shielding on it, so never mind. So anyway in this case I'm assuming only the fuel pump would need upgraded?

Thanks

·
Fastest 2.2 liter
566 Posts
99Super-10 said:
You best bet for injectors is to get the ones from a the GM supercharger kti for the 2.2 cavvy's and see if you can't get the reflash for the injectors done at a GM dealership or if you can order a reflashed ECM from GM with the injectors.
GM does not make or sell a supercharger for the 2.2s. I really doubt that GM has a reflash program on a 2.2 computer for a boosted application.

You must be thinking of the 2.4 liter motor in the Cavalier/Sunfires. GM sells larger injectors, supercharger, and can reflash the 2.4 TC computer.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
yeah but wouldn't the 2.4 liter sc kit injectors work on the 2.2

Caleb

·
BMW Parts Dept.
434 Posts
Well cavvy land is a little outta my territory, but just offering up some suggestions. And as far as I know there is a reflash for the cavvy supercharger kit. Alder, obviously you would know better than me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
the flex fuel system is going to be really good for boost if you can figure out how to control it. I think that if you modify the signal coming from the fuel filter (sounds stupid but it tell the ecu what type of fuel you are running also its why the filters cost so much) it would give you all the fuel that you would need, since you need about two times the ethanol

Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts