S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been searching old threads and cant find what I am looking for. i have an 88 s10 with the 2.8 and am swaping in a 305 with a carb. Can I use my stock fuel pump, which is brand new, and buy a regulator to knock the pressure down? i am going to put in a fuel cell eventually, but not in the budget right now. The 305 does not have a fuel pump on it. Thanks

·
takes 2 balls in our game
5,666 Posts
You cant use it without some kind of fuel pressure regulator. If you can hang a pump on the side of the block, just unplug the intank pump and it will work just fine.The intank pump remains open when there is no power to it.meaning, the block mounted pump will pull fuel right through the intank pump just like it wasnt in the tank

·
5,666 Posts
well,if the motor has a spot for the pump ,thats what i would do.VERY simple You gotta make sure the fuel pump rod is in there too Its about 35 bucks for a new pump and the rod

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
no regulator for the block pump.

but IMO i would run a regulator on the intank pump.
reason being is that i have heard/read you cant suck fuel thru a intank pump. now i have no idea, i havn't tried it

·
5,666 Posts
I'v done it on about 5 or 6 of them...When the intank pump has no power, there is a check valve in the pump that remains open.Now if you have a high HP motor, then yes, remove the intank pump.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a big hp motor, so i will just go with the mechanical pump then. Can i run the gas line from the old system to thenew pump, or just run a new line from the tank?

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
use the original line.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
I converted a 88 camaro form TBI to carb.

only thing i did diff was install a hei dist, 4bbl intake, and carb. ran a fuel pressure regulator and used the key power from coil to power my dist. only modified 1 wire, taped all others up and car look like factory done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts