S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a problem with their fuel strainer clogging up? I read about a service bulletin on these and I think I have that problem. Whenever my tank is less than a 1/4 full, it's hard to start. Fill it up and it fires right up everytime. Just curious before I take it back to the dealer AGAIN for a warrany fix. :cuss:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Weasel had a prob like that but I'm not sure what the exact prob was.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Man what year is truck i had a problem similar to that last week but hasnt happened since because i have kept it full of gas since then.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's a 2000. Gonna put a new fuel filter on it again this week. 73 f'in bucks. Geesh.

·
Rollin' Low in the 619!!!
409 Posts
Sounds like you might want to drop the tank and clean it out if you are having this much trouble. At least it will be free if you do it yourself. My 2 cents:wtf: :cuss:

·
Registered
122 Posts
man my truck just died yesterday on the highway when it hit a 1/4 of a tank im gonna try and change the fuel filter my self.. the dealer wanted to charge me about 134 bucks for the filter but my buddy called auto zone and they only wanted like 15 bucks for a 2001 2.2L fuel filter any body got any feed back

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a late 2000 model or newer with the filter that has 3 fittings on it, you're screwed. Just paid $77 for my filter. Early models with 2 fittings are just $10.

·
littleX10
70 Posts
To the man with a dead S10. Are you sure its just the fuel filter. Could be the pump or an electronic fault in the ECM. Is it ECM on our S10s I don't know but I'm refering to the computer which makes your engine run.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem's long since been resolved. There's a TSB out for earlier 2.2's where they replace the screen with a better one and put on a new kind a filter that also filters the return line. I have one of those now. Hence the other forum subject about the dealer giving it to me up the rear by charging $77 for these new filters. So far no one but ACDelco has them.

·
littleX10
70 Posts
WOW otherd I also have a 2000 and I am going to put a
call into Henderson Chevrolet in the morning. To see if I can
get it done. Not a recall a TSB, does that mean it has to foul
up for a warranty replacement? I wonder

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Did you look to see what filter type you have now? Most late models in 2000 at least those built in Shreveport have already had it done.

The new ones have 2 inlets on one end and one inlet on the other.

This is the bulletin I saw on it, but I'm not sure if it covers your vehicle.

General Motors: 2000-01 Chevrolet and GMC S Pickups with 2.2L VIN 5 engine
Subject: No-start, stalling or low engine power complaints may be caused by a clogged fuel pump strainer. A new sender/pump assembly with a larger strainer should be installed, P/N 15073337. A new revised fuel filter, P/N 15077584, also should be installed. The new filter not only filters fuel flowing to the engine, but also the fuel being returned to the tank.
Bulletin 01-06-04-038

I sometimes have a rough time finding these TSBs, but this site has a good listing of them. http://www.motorage.com/tsb/

·
littleX10
70 Posts
I sure have'nt paid much attention to the filter. Since it says in the manual it needs changing at 90,000 mi. And I'm 82,500 away from that schedule. It says on the door made in Schreveport Louisiana though. I just know this thing is a dog unless jumped on hard. Then its normal crazy people with faster cars acceleration. But with a lot of revs and noise and no more go than that. I have a K&N drop in to give it the additional 1/5 hp gain. Oh well it gets me there and looks good. Maybe someday I'll opt for a six power model. And spend money on speeding tickets which I get none of now. Thanks for the info Otherd I will look at the filter since you brought it to my attention.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts