S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 2.2 with 133,000 miles that has been acting up for several weeks. hesitation,surging,and rough idle have been the problems, but it has not been constant. The majority of the time it ran fine. When it first started acting up, I changed the fuel filter. I could hardly blow thru the old one. This did not solve the problem.Today I had not had any problems with it, had driven apprx 25 miles, when during a downshift at a turn it began idiling rough an cut off. It would attemt to start, but thats it. Code 54(fuel pump circuit was set)When I turn on the key, I do not hear the pump run. The fuel pump was changed at 87,000. I'm thinking it is the fuel pump again, but would like to double check to see if it could possible be anything else. Could the clogged filter have overworked the pump, or is 46,000 a normal life for an aftermarket pump? The chilton book does not show any relay diagrams. Mine has three relays on the center of the firewall, but I dont have a clue which one would be the one for the fuel pump. Also, the Chilton book mentions a"fuel pump test wire", but fails to mention where it is located. I've looked for the schrader valve that the book says is located on the fuel feed inlet fitting,on the opposite end of the lower intake from the pressure regulator, but have not had any luck finding it. Any information would be of great help. Thank you

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
I dont think our fuel pumps have a relay. That sounds exactly like what mine did when it went out. I dont think 46k is normal,but you could always have gotten a bad part. My aftermarket one has a lifetime warrenty so if you have to replace it I would get one that does. And that book is pretty much full of shit on that schrader valve. I have never seen one on any s-10. good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts