S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Proud new member here.

I have a 2004 S10 Crew Cab flavor. She left me stranded on the side of the road and I went ahead and checked for fuel pressure and sure thing, nothing. A guy went ahead and ripped the tank off and put in a new fuel pump assembly (spliced in new connector) and turn the key to prime the pump and nothing (with no lines connected). I have confirmed that the pump is works with the key forward but I’m getting no fuel coming out of the pump at all. It has a quarter tank of fuel.

Any information would be greatly appreciated on your end and will take any advice into consideration.

Thank you!

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
"A guy ripped the tank off". He wasn't by any chance Nicky Minaj's cousin's friend was he?
Sounds like "the guy" messed something up. Pump not in the tank right, fuel lines not connected right, wiring not done right. Take your pick.
Not trying to be facetious, but when you say someone did a cobble job on your pump it's hard to guess what he ** up.
Take it to a professional and get it down right. It'll cost, but it'll run.

Reactions: Lowerd98

·
Two tones of terror
730 Posts
So he replaced your fuel pump and left you to see if it works or not? Sounds like he did something wrong. I prefer to pull the bed to do this job any day of the week before I ever "rip a tank off".

For all you know that pump could be running in reverse after his connector splice job.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
So he replaced your fuel pump and left you to see if it works or not? Sounds like he did something wrong. I prefer to pull the bed to do this job any day of the week before I ever "rip a tank off".

For all you know that pump could be running in reverse after his connector splice job.
Not sure pulling the bed works on a CrewCab.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Where are you testing fuel pressure? at the engine or before the fuel filter? I would go ahead and change the fuel filter you need to do it either way since you got a new pump even if that is not the problem unless of course you want a brand new pump to fail prematurely when you do get it working again.

Better to just bring it to someone who knows what they are doing even though it is hard to mess up a fuel pump installation on these trucks to begin with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I am the person working on the truck. With the pump that was supplied from the local O’Reilly store, I had to splice into the factory harness with a “new” harness design. I followed the corresponding factory wires to be connected to the new fuel pump for my year accordingly.

I currently have the tank off and pump out to see any internal issues with the assembly but I am not finding anything outstanding.

The pump assembly is located on rear end of the cab unfortunately for crew cabs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where are you testing fuel pressure? at the engine or before the fuel filter? I would go ahead and change the fuel filter you need to do it either way since you got a new pump even if that is not the problem unless of course you want a brand new pump to fail prematurely when you do get it working again.

Better to just bring it to someone who knows what they are doing even though it is hard to mess up a fuel pump installation on these trucks to begin with.
I currently have no lines connected. Therefore, I should have a substantial amount of fuel coming out from the top of the tank, but I have none. Not even a drop. I hear the pump kick on and the pump assembly itself has all lines connected.

I initially thought that possibly one of the lines came off during the drop-in process but I have confirmed that is not the case.

I guess now I double check my spice in job?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"A guy ripped the tank off". He wasn't by any chance Nicky Minaj's cousin's friend was he?
Sounds like "the guy" messed something up. Pump not in the tank right, fuel lines not connected right, wiring not done right. Take your pick.
Not trying to be facetious, but when you say someone did a cobble job on your pump it's hard to guess what he ** up.
Take it to a professional and get it down right. It'll cost, but it'll run.

“A guy” is myself. But for more clarification on my end please see below:

1. No I am not friends with Nicki Minaj’s cousin.
2. Pump is assembled in the tank correctly following a specific tab on the pump that has the corresponding slot on the tank (It goes in one way).
3. Fuel lines are correct. High pressure has a larger diameter line compared to return. Therefore, it is impossible to have the lines mismatched.
4. I am not a mechanic, I am an engineer.
5. I will resort to a mechanic if all options fail, but currently I am looking for more solutions.

Thank you!

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
You could simply have a bad new pump. If you have the tank off and the wiring connected and you hear the pump run, gas should be spraying out at 80psi. Might want to put a piece of hose on the pressure fitting and into a bucket for safety's sake.

Reactions: Gen210

·
Two tones of terror
730 Posts
I would double check pinout on connector and double check that the 12v and ground aren't crossed before returning pump. If they are fine then pump is bad, although not a common thing.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Sounds like an AIRTEX pump assembly was installed.... they are the worst of the worst!
You confirmed the pump is working because it had an audible tone? The problem with that is you cannot distinguish the polarity. So instead of your pump "pumping" it could be "sucking" of course meaning your fuel rail is not being filled.
This happens to many me included. If I don't have an issue with my sending unit all I replace is the actual pump and with that my pumps come from RACETRONIX or QUANTUM.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Ditto all of that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts