S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like some other people on here, i've been having some problems with my fuel pump. it started out that when i would go to start my s10, it randomly wouldn't start. no noise from the fuel pump indicating that it was on. was annoying but i figured out that if i reached up under the bed and unpluged the square connector with four wires in it and simply pluged it back in, the truck would usually start. the problem then got worse when the truck started to shut off while i was driving and then wouldn't restart. same trick with unpluging the connector and pluging it back it usually worked. after racking my brain trying to figure out the problem i finally said screw it and cut into the four wire connector and ran a new ground wire from the plug, straight to the frame. i then ran a wire with a switch from an empty spot in the fuse box straight to the plug. i basically put the pump on a toggle switch so that if it started acting up i could flip the switch and put 12v directly to the pump and bypass all the other stuff(ecm, fuel pump relay, oil pressure switch, possible bad grounds). my though was that i could test if it was the pump that was actually bad, or if the problem was in one of the other components. that didn't fix the problem either. i finally found that the connector it self was the problem. if i flipped my toggle switch and the pump did not come on, i could make it come on by pushing in on the four wire connector, but as soon as i let go the pump would again lose power. i finally ended up cutting off the connector and soldering the wires directly to the pins on the pump. so far i haven't had another problem with the pump. as an added bonus, my fuel gauge is also working now. sorry for the long post, but i hope this might help some of you out, our fuel pumps are pretty expensive to be buying a new one if you really don't need one.

·
Registered
457 Posts
like some other people on here, i've been having some problems with my fuel pump. it started out that when i would go to start my s10, it randomly wouldn't start. no noise from the fuel pump indicating that it was on. was annoying but i figured out that if i reached up under the bed and unpluged the square connector with four wires in it and simply pluged it back in, the truck would usually start. the problem then got worse when the truck started to shut off while i was driving and then wouldn't restart. same trick with unpluging the connector and pluging it back it usually worked. after racking my brain trying to figure out the problem i finally said screw it and cut into the four wire connector and ran a new ground wire from the plug, straight to the frame. i then ran a wire with a switch from an empty spot in the fuse box straight to the plug. i basically put the pump on a toggle switch so that if it started acting up i could flip the switch and put 12v directly to the pump and bypass all the other stuff(ecm, fuel pump relay, oil pressure switch, possible bad grounds). my though was that i could test if it was the pump that was actually bad, or if the problem was in one of the other components. that didn't fix the problem either. i finally found that the connector it self was the problem. if i flipped my toggle switch and the pump did not come on, i could make it come on by pushing in on the four wire connector, but as soon as i let go the pump would again lose power. i finally ended up cutting off the connector and soldering the wires directly to the pins on the pump. so far i haven't had another problem with the pump. as an added bonus, my fuel gauge is also working now. sorry for the long post, but i hope this might help some of you out, our fuel pumps are pretty expensive to be buying a new one if you really don't need one.
I tried that once on a mighty max and it didn't work turned out it was the ECM that went bad, It still kept cutting out and sputtering.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that once on a mighty max and it didn't work turned out it was the ECM that went bad, It still kept cutting out and sputtering.
i think my problem was the connector though because the pump wouldn't even start when i turned on the toggle switch i put in. that switch was putting 12v straight to the pump. it bypassed the ecm, and everything else. the only thing between the switch and the pump was the wire connection right at the pump. with the switch on, i could wiggle the connector and get the pump to turn on and off. i'm not trying to say that this is the solution to everyones problem, but it was the problem with my truck, and it is a good way to make sure that your pump is infact bad before you spend the money for a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts