S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having an intermittent fuel problem with my 97 s-10. twice i have been driving down the road and the motor has died because the fuel pump has cut out. other times it will not start while hot. in either situation if i allow it to cool for 30-60 minutes, it will start normal. other times i can get it to fire right away on starting fluid.
i can't hear the fuel pump priming when it wont start. the fuel pump and filter are about 6 months old and i just replaced the fuel pump relay. i dont think it is the oil pressure sensor ecause even when the truck wont start the gauge will read over 20 psi just be the starter cranking it.
i am also getting 4 codes. P0101 and P0107 just started coming up and P0420 and P0440 have been on since before these problems started.
any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated because i am really lost on this one!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, granby mass. Just a couple towns over (Holyoke)

Ummmm.. Check the condition of your ground strap comming from the fuel tank to the rail. I had one rot away on another truck and it caused the pump to come on and off do to the poor contact.

I not sure where it's located but on a 96+ 2dr blazer. It's located on the driver side rear under the bumper where the brake light is located.

I Would check that first since it costs very little to fix.
Also try tapping on the fuel pump relay while having another buddy try starting. I know you put a new one in but the wires under the box could be corroding (Rare but a possible). Also switch the relay with another. I think the A/C is the same.

Also hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the schraider valve and see what the pressure is when you turn the truck on (But not starting). It should read around 60psi. If not, Use your key on the valve and notice how much gas is coming out. If it's just dribbling out then the pump is shot,

I had my pump go while driving on I-91 in greenfield and had to get it towed home w/o AAA which took my wallet for a ride. when it died it sounded like the pump was functioning (Just not as loud) but when I stuck my key in the schraider valve, Gas was barely coming out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a good ground and cant find any visibly damaged wires.

i did put a fuel pressure gauge on it though. when the truck is cold, the pump primes to 65 everytime. when it is hot the pressure is all over the place. sometimes it is at 0, 30, 45, 50. is there anything else controlling the pump that would cause it to put out less pressure?

·
Spare Parts Pack Rat
583 Posts
What are do the codes stand for? That would be a good place to start in narrowing down your problem.

As Bail said...check that ground strap. May just be some corrosion on the eyelet where it bolts to the frame rail.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Something to take into consideration. The oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressure gidget that passes voltage to the fuel pump are two differing parts inside of one unit.

In other words, the darn thing can give you a great reading on the gauge while failing now and then on the other job.

Check the wiring to and from the unit also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
P0101 is a Mass Airflow Code. It was detecting a signal not within it's range for more than 4 seconds.

P0107 is a Map Sensor error (Low Input)

P0420 is a o2 sensor error. Most likely will need a o2 sensors

P0440 is a EVAP problem.

I'd suggest reseting the codes and see which ones come back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts