S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I do not yet own a 2.2 but have been reading on teh forums for a little while now. Hope you dont mind. I did own a 2.5 S dime which died about a week ago. I am in the market for a 2.2 5 speed so I have been trying to find out as much about them as I can. I drive for a living so I need the best mileage i can get. Why don't I just get an econo box? You may ask? welll because I will use this vehicle for other than business and I like to always have a vehicle with a bed so I can move things when I want. I know a lot of you are modding your 2.2s for power and thats awesome by me. However I have another vehicle that i use for straight up HP so I am looking to use this vehicle just as a daily driver and hopefully get good fuel economy. I know my 2.5 was halfway decent at fuel economy if I kept my foot off the gas pedal since they have such a high rear end. I think you guy say you are getting about 19 city and 27 highway? is that about true? What can I do to an engine like this to help fuel economy? will an air intake help that much? I would think an entire air intake system would help MPG a little more than just a K&N filter. Do K&N filters help MPG at all? How much would a catback exhaust system help? would gutting my car or installing pipe inplace of my cat and muffler help MPG a lot or minimal? I would think that Good quality plugs and wires would help you get the most you can. Please help me out in this area. I dont know a whole lot about engines. (about the exhaust thing, I dont care about loudness. All the other vehicles i drive are my fathers and he doesnt take to kindly to emmissions equipment when it comes to exhaust systems!)

·
old fart
939 Posts
I get 24 in town, and 30 on the highway, I have a K&N FIPK genII, Jet Chip stage II, and a FlowMaster original 40 series w/turndown

·
Registered
93 Posts
i get 15 in town, don't know why. 2.2 automatic. i do have a bit of a heavy right foot though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I average 24mpg with a 4.10 rear, a 5 spd, synthetic motor oil and a tonneau cover on my 2WD ext. cab. Only other thing I did was get a Zexel-Torsen diff which didn't change mileage. Otherwise, it's stock. I hear the only other real way to improve mileage is to drop it (via springs/spindle, I suppose). Everything else is pretty minimal (especially considering the very limited amount of intake/exhaust system out there). And, by intake, I mean more than just a plastic tube with a cone filter. I'd suggest getting one with a 3.73 rear, a tonneau cover and a 2" drop in the front. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Mileage with a 2.2 seriously depends on the truck itself. I had a 98 S10 2.2 5 speed regular cab stripper(AC was only heavy option) with the sport suspension and it got lousy gas mileage. It had 36,800 when I bought it and I changed to synthetic oil when I did the first oil change. I was lucky to get 21mpg with it. 19 was about the norm. I did a K&N drop in, Gibson cat back, had the cat replaced under warranty cuz the old one broke. I also put on an electric fan. I put on a roll pan in place of the heavy bumper. I was still lucky to get 24mpg with it on a good day. It got totalled by a kid that ran a red light at 54,000 miles. I picked up a 98 Sonoma regular cab 2.2 5 speed with 75,000 miles. This one has AC, regular suspension, and buckets. Also has manual windows/locks same as my S10 did. It gets 24mpg easy and all I have done is put in the K&N drop in filter. Worst was 22mpg and that was lots of city driving and me being agressive when driving. I don't know why this truck gets so much better mileage. Service records show it had had synthetic since new. It has just regular oil in it now as the dealer I bought it from did an oil change. It's getting synthetic back when I change the oil next. Both trucks had 3.73 gears in them and soft tonneau covers. I hear of other people getting like 26-28mpg with them on the highway. Some even say they get 30mpg. I don't get it. I'm happy with my 24mpg for now.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
There are several topics about gas mileage improvements.

If you don't want to get a bed cover (would be a pain to move everytime you haul something) think about getting some kind of bar structure or whatever they call them to put in place of your tailgate, or put on top of it and allow you to leave your tailgate down. That will help aerodynamics as well as keep you from getting a bed cover. I have a 2000 s10x with 34k on it. 5 speed with no mods under the hood. It doesn't have automatic doors and stuff and its a regular cab. During the summer while running AC I was getting 26mpg, which was highway and city/campus driving. K&N will improve your mileage. Some more than others. Anything you do to free up your exhaust will help also.

I brought this question up a while back. Here's the post.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73404&highlight=better+gas+mileage

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts