S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel filter on my 96 is practically welded on by rust. Sprayed it down numerous times with PB Blaster and all that and it won't break free. The line fitting on the end was slightly stripped when I started, and even when using the proper size of hose wrench, its still getting more stripped and not coming free. Hence the Subject line... replacing the fuel line. I think its probably best to replace the line that runs into it from the fuel tank since the end is getting stripped and might not be removable.

Thoughts? Experiences? Its a 96 extended cab 4x4. How hard is it to purchase new line, bend it, run it, and install it on the tank? Does it require dropping the tank? That, if anything, is something I'd like to avoid for sure.

Any information is more than welcome, here! I'm at 125,000 miles and on the OE filter and would like to get it changed. Thanks!

·
H-D motorsports
654 Posts
I would just cut the lines as close to the pump as possible clean them up with a bit of sand paper and run rubber hose.

If you use proper fuel injection high pressure hose and fuel line hose clamps it will never leak.
The last turbo charged car I build was pushin' 45psi fuel pressure and had no leaks.
Even my talon is hooked up like that. When I got my tank from the wreckers it had a brand new sending unit in it but they had cut the pipes off. So instead of flaring and bending steel pipes I just slipped rubber fuel line over what was left of the fuel line and clamped it on good then ran it up into the engine bay. It's been over a year now.

For my fathers dakota we used stanless steel braided hose

It's a little costly but it's a lot easier and a heck of a lot faster.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one spot I'm concerned about is from the tank to the filter, so its the main pressure line that goes to the front to the pressure regulator and all that. Last I checked, these trucks run pretty high pressure (60 psi or so) so I'd worry about the rubber line. The main reason for replacing this is to get that darn filter replaced since it is long overdue. From the looks of the fitting, its not coming out of that filter anytime soon.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Cut it back where the line is good, get a section of 3/8" steel
fuel line, put a male flare nut on and flare the end for the filter.
On the other end install a AN-6 nut and sleeve , flare it. On the
old line that you cut where its good, clean it up install another
AN-6 nut and sleeve and flare that end. Get a AN-6 male union,
or if ya want to be trick, a AN-6 union with a 1/8"
NPT port in the center for a 1 5/8" fuel press gage and install.

You'll have a clean repair and if ya go with the 1 5/8" FP Gauge
before the filter, you'll always know fuel press when you want to
ck it. All you need are the 2 AN-6 sleeves, tube nuts, and AN-6
male union and of course the 3/8" steel tubing and male flare
nut. Also a GOOD flare tool, then yer set.. I installed a fuel
press gauge behind my TBI so I'd know what fuel press was
all the time. The steel tube and AN-6 fittings will handle your
fuel press easy..be it CPI ,TBI, of SF injection.. You can get
this stuff at a speed shop or Summit Racing. You could even
go with 6# steel braided line, but the steel tube would be
easier. They also sell stainless steel tube which would be
better..Here's pic of my FPG..

I'm making up tranny lines for a remote filter and aux cooler
doing this. It's much easier than you think..

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not completely sure on your 96 but I believe the fuel line has a hose crimped on the end back at the tank. I'd suggest looking at a new factory line for this as it is a critical piece. Be very easy to install by removing the bed, six bolts and some odds and ends, just lift off. Might try www.rockauto.com and see if they have a listing for the line. Only other suggestion is to take a Dremel and cut the filter nut and see if you can get it apart. As long as the pipe flare is not damaged it should hold even if you cut the threads on the line fitting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts