S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1997 Chevy S10 4.3L V6 Vortec. The gas guage read 1/2, then full, and then I ran out of gas. I supsect the fuel level sending unit. Dealer wouldn't give me a part number, and said it was $564, and that the universal ones won't fit. I said "good bye".

I have found universal sending units for around $25 for guage models
1306, 1317, 1406, 1417, 1506, 1606, 1706, 1806, 2320, 2513, 2516, 2643, 3316, 3516, 4416, 5416, 5616 and 5716.

Question...how do I determine the guage model, and is this easy to replace? Looks like 6 bolts go through a plate and the whole unit dips into the fuel tank. Is it a job for us do-it-yourselfers, or does the tank have to be lowered?

Thanks for any help,
Chris

·
Freak of Nature
41 Posts
Before you go spending all that maoney you should go get a test light or voltmeter and make sure it is bad. I am not sure of the exact process but I think it tells in a Chilton or Haynes manual how to check it.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
mine does the same exact thing! 97 and all. Whenever it starts doing it, I am assuming theres some varnish building up on the contacts of the resistor. I just super concentrate some fuel injector cleaner... empty the tank, throw the cleaner in there and about 5-7 gallons and run it till I get to e, usually does the trick for a couple months.

if you do find the answer, please post it, I would be interested in ultimately fixing it.

good luck,

·
Registered
60 Posts
The wipers (contacts) on the resistor are probably worn out, fairly common, you should be able to buy just the meter not the whole sender from GM by now. They used to sell the whole unit only, sender, meter, pump assembly but I think they sell the meter(or "card") separately.
Check with your dealer. Here is a TSB on it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INFO - FUEL LEVEL SENSOR REPLACEMENT PROC #83-83-07
SUBJECT: INFORMATION - FUEL LEVEL SENSOR REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE

MODELS: 1997-98 PASSENGER CARS AND LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS (LISTED IN APPLICATION CHART)

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING ISSUED TO CLARIFY THAT, WHEN FUEL GAUGE DIAGNOSIS PER THE SERVICE MANUAL INDICATES THE CAUSE TO BE THE FUEL LEVEL SENSOR, COMPLETE FUEL SENDER ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT IS NOT REQUIRED.

AVAILABLE FUEL LEVEL SENSOR SERVICE PACKAGES ARE INDICATED IN THE APPLICATION CHARTS ATTACHED AND SHOULD BE INSTALLED FOLLOWING APPLICABLE SERVICE MANUAL PROCEDURES AND THOSE PROVIDED IN THE SERVICE PACKAGES.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mkgearhead...

mind giving me a link to the site you got that info. from? thanks man.

--Chris :)

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chris Mine a 1997 Blazer does the same Thing
Please email me if you find a fix
Right now I track the mileage and add fuel every 200 miles will make 235 or so therefore 200 is a good time to gas up
Thanks

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Have either of you all tried the concentrated fuel injector cleaner? I just went down to NAPA, got a bottle of their fuel inj. cleaner, stop at a gas station, put the cleaner in the tank, then only put 7 gallons in there. I am still at 1/2 tank and the twitchy needle is gone. It will last for a couple of months.

good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts