S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home today my fuel gauge started acting up. It was reading fine (just over 1/4 tank) then at a stoplight it jumped up to full then down to empty. When I started to go it was jumping around 3/4 tank the rest of the way home. Now when I start it, it's ether at full or reads about right. I tried tracking down a loose wire but no luck. I figured if it was coming loose it would read low. It's a 2000 2.2. Any ideas?

·
Real Men Wear Skirts!!
7,192 Posts
On my way home today my fuel gauge started acting up. It was reading fine (just over 1/4 tank) then at a stoplight it jumped up to full then down to empty. When I started to go it was jumping around 3/4 tank the rest of the way home. Now when I start it, it's ether at full or reads about right. I tried tracking down a loose wire but no luck. I figured if it was coming loose it would read low. It's a 2000 2.2. Any ideas?
Fuel sending unit, go pick yourself up a new fuel pump and call it a day. Very common with S-10s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Is there anywhere I can get just the sending unit? So far I've only found the whole pump and I'm not sure I can afford it right now.

·
Real Men Wear Skirts!!
7,192 Posts
Thanks. Is there anywhere I can get just the sending unit? So far I've only found the whole pump and I'm not sure I can afford it right now.

Just do what I do.

Fill your gas tank to full and then count mileage on you odometer. I have a 4.3 v6 and I fill up my tank every 250-270 miles, my gas needle hasn't worked for 2 years and I have never run out of gas.

Thats a free fix :cool: I couldnt afford a fuel pump and finally bought one 2-3 months ago and just been waiting to bag the rear of my truck when the bed is off before I replace it. Waited this long whats another few months :haha:

I think you can pick up a sending unit but everyone tells me to just replace the whole fuel pump assembly. So I would personally recommend you just clock your mileage on your trip odometer until you can afford a pump.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the connector goes bad but I think GM also is known to have problematic pumps, my gauge quit working for a year and the pump got really noisey but i figured id go as far as i could without it dying, and a year later the pump left me stranded on the highway, and then my malibu pump went out right after i installed a new tank lol. but both new pumps i installed had a different pigtail connector with them so that is definitely one problem. Id say run as far as the pump will take you but prepare to be stranded lol.

·
Super Moderator
20,515 Posts
I do the same, my fuel sending unit is just about whack as it gets

I go by odemeter miles(more if I do simple driving, less if Im accelerating a lot)

however, don't waste $300 for new fuel pump when you can get it for $100 and sendung unit seperately.. therefore a bigger, better pump with new sendin unit to save you half or so of the stock fuel pump assembly cost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts