S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002Chevy S-10 LS 4x4 Club Cab
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The fuel gage in my S-10 quit working the needle is in the bottom right side of the gage. See example attached. Last night Thanksgiving Eve A family member changed the alternator in my truck. When he first started the process he did not disconnect the battery first. Something Arc, he received a mild shock. He then did disconnect the batteries red cable. Then proceeded to install the alternator. When he finished he connected up the battery and the alternator worked fine last night. Today on a short drive I noticed the fuel gage not working. I suppose this may be the result of whatever arced. Please let me know if anyone has seen anything like this occurring and knows how I might fix this.
Thank you,
Hank
Car Gauge Vehicle Speedometer Measuring instrument

·
B4U Task Force Admin
34,469 Posts
1st...you disconnect the ground cable...not the hot one. Do the other gauges work. There was another member that had the gas gauge needle far over about a week ago and got it worked out. Do a search for gas gauge stuck and set the date for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st...you disconnect the ground cable...not the hot one. Do the other gauges work. There was another member that had the gas gauge needle far over about a week ago and got it worked out. Do a search for gas gauge stuck and set the date for 2 weeks.
Yes the other gages, still work, in the photo I had attached it shows part of the volt meter at 14 ,
Hank
Ps I will do the search and see what I find, thxs.

·
Been there Done it
15,777 Posts
Caused by a voltage spike. Drive it and it'll go away. The worse the roads are the faster it'll bounce back. Be glad your family repair guru wasn't replacing your computer. You'd be the proud owner of a very expensive brick. Hopefully you and your mechanic learned something. Always disconnect the battery when doing anything with the electrical system.
As Rhot said disconnect the negative first. Doing the positive first is a good way to weld your wrench to the fender and burn your fingers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Caused by a voltage spike. Drive it and it'll go away. The worse the roads are the faster it'll bounce back. Be glad your family repair guru wasn't replacing your computer. You'd be the proud owner of a very expensive brick. Hopefully you and your mechanic learned something. Always disconnect the battery when doing anything with the electrical system.
As Rhot said disconnect the negative first. Doing the positive first is a good way to weld your wrench to the fender and burn your fingers.
Thank you for your comment, I will be proud to drive my very expensive Shiny Black Brick with a new oem alternator and drive it thru the weekend, waiting for the humble fuel needle to bounce back to life like it should. In the morning I will be filling it's thirsty tank with cool colorado home grown petrol, waiting for this black beauty to spring into life.
Hank
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You are so right, Mr. Oldeerslayer, I took the black beast to buy gas today, on the way home fuel gage popped back to normal. Thank you
Hank
Speedometer Light Gauge Odometer Trip computer

·
Been there Done it
15,777 Posts
Why is Halon (Bromotrifluoromethane) manufacture banned?

While Halon is considered a clean agent by The National Fire Protection Association because it's electrically non-conducting and does not leave a residue, Halon has an extremely high potential for ozone depletion and contributes to global warming potential.
In 1987 an international treaty known as the Montreal Protocol recognised halon as a substance that contributes to the depletion of the stratospheric ozone layer. Subsequent production and manufacturing of new halon products has been banned globally.
On January 1, 1994, production and import of virgin halons were phased out in the United States. Since that time, recycled halons are the only supply of halons in the United States for specialty fire suppression applications.
There are no federal or state regulations prohibiting the buying, selling, or using a Halon extinguisher or fire suppression system.
IN THE UK:
Not only is it illegal to own a Halon fire extinguisher, it is also illegal to simply dump them or discharge the contents. They have to pay to have it properly disposed of.
I wouldn't worry about carcinagenicity. Unless you live in California, where according to the watchdogs EVERYTHING is carcinogenic except movie stars. Including Bromodichloromethane - Halon 1021.

On the other hand CO2 is used to make soda bubbly and pops champagne corks.
But it too contributes to global warming, which causes global greening, which causes cooling.
Actually water vapor is by far the dominant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere and we all know water isn't safe to breathe. If you don't believe me, stick your head underwater and take a deep breathe.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,794 Posts
Why is Halon (Bromotrifluoromethane) manufacture banned?

While Halon is considered a clean agent by The National Fire Protection Association because it's electrically non-conducting and does not leave a residue, Halon has an extremely high potential for ozone depletion and contributes to global warming potential.
In 1987 an international treaty known as the Montreal Protocol recognised halon as a substance that contributes to the depletion of the stratospheric ozone layer. Subsequent production and manufacturing of new halon products has been banned globally.
On January 1, 1994, production and import of virgin halons were phased out in the United States. Since that time, recycled halons are the only supply of halons in the United States for specialty fire suppression applications.
There are no federal or state regulations prohibiting the buying, selling, or using a Halon extinguisher or fire suppression system.
IN THE UK:
Not only is it illegal to own a Halon fire extinguisher, it is also illegal to simply dump them or discharge the contents. They have to pay to have it properly disposed of.
I wouldn't worry about carcinagenicity. Unless you live in California, where according to the watchdogs EVERYTHING is carcinogenic except movie stars. Including Bromodichloromethane - Halon 1021.

On the other hand CO2 is used to make soda bubbly and pops champagne corks.
But it too contributes to global warming, which causes global greening, which causes cooling.
Actually water vapor is by far the dominant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere and we all know water isn't safe to breathe. If you don't believe me, stick your head underwater and take a deep breathe.
Plus, there is that "troublesome little" side effect that in a confined space, halon and (sufficient) CO2 basically suffocates the occupants by depleting/ displacing the O2.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am happy to see all is enjoying this side thread now that my fuel gage dilema is solved. Enjoy one and all have a good day and a greater week.
Hank
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Ecoregion Light
please enjoy this sunrise photo from 30,000 ft at 5:00 am on my flight from Denver to Chicago the morning I went to Cedar Falls, Iowa to pick up my new/ old S-10, my retirement present from wife and son

1 - 12 of 12 Posts