S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body have any tips on replaceing the fuel filter on a 01 sonoma. My truck cut out on me on the highway yesterday at about 1/4 tank im at 22k so i figure that the filter may be it. the dealer wanted like 133 bucks and they didnt even have one in stock. :bash:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 98 2.2 and the fuel filter was no more than $30 (i want to say $15, but not sure) at one of those national chain parts stores. The fuel filter was on the driver's side under the frame right about where the door is. It was a simple 'snap'click' deal. Is the '01 like that too? If it is, then it's a piece of cake job. (Just be sure to release the pressure on the fuel line or you'll get gas all over yourself)

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
i replaced mine on the 95' same location, under the drivers side on the side of the frame. you all got lucky with the snap deal, with mine i had to unbolt it from the fuel lines, then unbolt it from the frame its self. but fairly easy, just when replacein it, have a drain bucket underneith so there isnt fuel all over the place, and install is in reverse of disasmble. take ur time u dont want to rush anything, and cause more probs. hope this helps~~~

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thansk guys i need all the help i can get. Ive never done any thing with the fuel filter before so this may sound stupid but how do i release the presure on the line. I crawled up under neath yesterday and i think i found it, its exactly were you guys described it being.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine did have a threaded side, but two open-ended wrenches did the trick. Snap was on the other. I agree get a catch bucket for the gas and take your time. you don't want to bust the line on either side of the filter.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
For mine I had to buy a tool for about 30 bucks. It goes on a nipple on the fuel line under the hood. It will be capped with a black tip. Its the line that goes straight to your fuel rail in front of the manifold. Plus unscrew your gas cap and then disconnect the negative battery cable to be safe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thansk guys i need all the help i can get. Ive never done any thing with the fuel filter before so this may sound stupid but how do i release the presure on the line. I crawled up under neath yesterday and i think i found it, its exactly were you guys described it being.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
all u have to do is take the gas filler cap off, that releases presure, but still there will be a flow of fuel when u take the filter off the lines

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
take the filler cap off and u wont have a prob there will only be pressure on the lines if its running.....you'll get a lil leakage from the stuff sitting in the lines but other then that you'll be set....once u change it prime the fuel by turn the key to on (w/o starting your truck) then to off then to on again so u can hear the fuel pump a couple times.....you said your truck cut off on the highway when you had 22k miles on your truck? i think gm recommend changing the fuel filter every 30k doesnt it?....i changed mine at 33k w/o a prob...of course i've never used cheap gas either....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i think that its the cheap gas. The dealer said 15k but i dout id have a problem if it werent that i put the crap gas in for a while and now when it gets at 1/4 it dies. Im getting the fuel filter tonight and ill be off to the races tomorrow night.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
just hit 30K, are there any high flow or performance filters? I always try and replace parts with better ones.
who makes filters besides fram, purolator?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've heard that the fuel filters for the newest s-10 (like 2001-up) use a different, way more expensive filter. I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think this is true. I've heard that only dealerships have these filters also. I have a '99, so mine was like $15 at Advance and it was a little bit of a whore to replace....

·
Rollin' Low in the 619!!!
409 Posts
The problem starts with the 2000's, because if you have the vin 5 model then the filter is like $115 because this vin allows you to run ethanol as an alternative fuel so the system is different. If you look at you filter, on the side closest to the tank there will be two fittings instead of one and if this is the case start digging deep in your pockets. Kragen can special order this filter and is like $15 cheaper than the dealer....

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
1siks-10 said:
The problem starts with the 2000's, because if you have the vin 5 model then the filter is like $115 because this vin allows you to run ethanol as an alternative fuel so the system is different. If you look at you filter, on the side closest to the tank there will be two fittings instead of one and if this is the case start digging deep in your pockets. Kragen can special order this filter and is like $15 cheaper than the dealer....
This is correct. The new type filter has 3 fittings on it, all using those plastic clip on connectors. My dealer gave me a deal and I got one for $73. To replace it, you can just open the fuel tank cap to vent the pressure and then just take off the fittings by squeezing the plastic clips to release them. You'll get soaked with gas from the line coming from the tank, but if you move quick, just swap that line last as quick as you can. The other lines don't leak that much. If you want to try my dealer, it's Lukken Chevy in LaGrange, GA. They might be able to ship you one if you can't find a better deal locally. BTW, my truck was doing the same thing, but it wasn't the filter. Was the tank strainer that clogged up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts