S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to mount a filter on the suction side of a mechanical fuel pump?

·
Registered
804 Posts
General rule of thumb is do not restrict the suction side of a pump. If you do it can cavitate or restrict flow and that can/will cause air bubbles. You want the suction side to be flooded at all times. I am not talking about the nylon sock or screens that are on pump pickups.

·
is a fungineer
6,108 Posts
You're going to get both sides on this one.

I don't see it as a problem, and if I have any trash coming through the fuel system I'd rather have it get caught before the pump than after.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
General rule of thumb is do not restrict the suction side of a pump. If you do it can cavitate or restrict flow and that can/will cause air bubbles. You want the suction side to be flooded at all times. I am not talking about the nylon sock or screens that are on pump pickups.
Cavitation is my main concern.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're going to get both sides on this one.

I don't see it as a problem, and if I have any trash coming through the fuel system I'd rather have it get caught before the pump than after.
That's what I was thinking, I'd rather see it get caught before the pump. I called summits tech line and they said it was ok; which doesn't mean very much.

·
is a fungineer
6,108 Posts
That is usually why they have a mesh sock or screen prior to the pump with the actual filter after the pump.
That's fine, but if that was good enough why would you need a filter at all?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going with a fuel cell, do they have a filter on the pickup or anything like that.

·
Registered
804 Posts
That's fine, but if that was good enough why would you need a filter at all?
That is to catch the larger pieces before they go in to the pump. The filter is there to stop the finer particles from clogging the injectors.

I am not here to start an argument. I am merely saying that most systems are designed with the filter after the pump. You, I am happy to say, have the freedom to design your system any way you like.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've talked to "old timers" who say cavitation will be a problem. I talked to summit and jegs tech reps and they both say it's fine. I'm going to mount it in the bed bythe fuel cell for easy access.

·
Longbeds FTMFW
8,623 Posts
I know you guys are talking mechanical pumps, but i went through 3 electric pumps in a little over a year. Finally I got so fed up with it i called the company and they told me I was having pumps fail because of the filter I was running before the pump. I was told that the pump is meant to "push" fuel and not "pull" fuel, and it was causing the diaphram inside the pump to fail.

My setup was cell-filter-pump-filter-regulator.

I was also told that the foam inside the cell breaks down over time and can wreak havoc on fuel systems...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts