S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried to leave my house today around 10 am, (w/ a temp of about 32/22 degrees)I turned my truck on and hit the switches nothing happened...so I waited a few minutes and scrapped off the ice off my windshield, then tried again, nothing. I went back inside til about 10:35 am, and cranked my truck up again and hit the swiches, the compressor kicked on and everything worked fine, by that time the ice had melted off my truck. Is their anything I can do overnight to prevent this from occurring every morning? I thought about wrapping the compressor with a dark colored towel and a trashbag to I guess insulate it, and the dark would absorb the heat, and the trashbag would keep it dry. I also turned my truck around so the compressor wouldn't be in the shade once the sun came up. My compressor is a Viair 450...any suggestions? thanks in advance.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Its not your compressors freezing up its your valves. Do u have a water trap and where and do u drain your tanks?

·
minitruckin alcoholic
1,742 Posts
i would have to say its prolly your pressure switch freezing up. i have water traps as well, and some moisture still gets in there.

I just bypassed the psi switch and let the comps run. warm air is built and helps melt things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it could be the pressure switch. you could try wrapping it in some pipe insulation or something. or run a toggle switch to bypass it

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Waffle... you need to clear somethin up... did the valves work, and the comp not come on??

Or did nothing work at all??

That will help determining whats wrong.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well their was a little air in the tank when I hit the switch, the rear went up fine, then I hit the switch for the front, thats when nothing happened...when the comp wouldn't kick on. Yeah I have a water trap, hmmm I've never drained the tank though...I'll check the tank out tommorrow. All last winter everything worked fine, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess it was the pressure switch, cause the tank was empty after the rear went up, the pressure switch should have allowed the comp to kick on...Sorry for the hard to follow story...

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Probly was the pressure switch than or a loose connection but u said after things thawed out it worked. U could go out with a hairdryer every morning and warm it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts