S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been having a squeal in the front of my 2000 4x4 S10 for a few weeks... figured the noise as my wheel bearings, then found ou that you can't just buy bearings, its a whole hub assy. Well, close to no money here and these things are $180...

can they be repacked???!? i haven't even bothered pulling anything apart and getting discoraged yet

·
Registered
514 Posts
yea, you have to replace the whole assembly. the bearings are permanently sealed. if your blazer is just a 2000, i would check the warranty. may still be covered. it shouldn't go out this soon. my dad has a 98 4x4 with 205,000 miles on it, and we just replaced one of his. it isn't too hard. just take off the axle nut, and three bolts hold the hub assembly to the control arm. it should come off with a little persuasion from a hammer, but if it won't, then you will need to use a puller. good luck man.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
warranty has already expired. I'm looking into this further, it may not be that afterall. I pulled my wheels and hooked up an electric motor to spin the hubs and hand no noise. I guess I'll see after all the xmas family crap.

thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
it could still be your bearing. the reason it didn't squeal when you hooked the electric motor to it is because the load of your truck isn't on it, which in turn, doesn't create as much friction. where did you go to get the price for your hub assembly? try advanced auto parts, i have found them to have the lowest prices on almost anything. and if they don't have it in stock, they will order it at no extra cost to you. that is the only auto parts store i go to. good luck man, and a merry christmas to you

·
Registered
514 Posts
oh yea, and i forgot to mention. at advanced, if you take your old part in, they will give you a $60 core refund. which means, they deduct $60 from your hub...and that is a great deal

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
check your lugs. As stupid as it sounds, I had two loose lug nuts and it made a wierd sound like that. And it would explain why it didn't do it with the electric motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts