S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94' Bravada with AWD, that had the front drive shaft removed when I acquired it. So I went down to the junk yard bought one and installed it. I am able to drive it and turn alright, but when i'm accelerating even under very light load you can hear it clicking, almost like the gears aren't always catching. It's fine while cruising but the min you give it a little bit more gas it does it again. So after only a few miles I removed the drive shaft.

My question is can you drive these trucks around with out the front diff installed? I can't afford to pay someone to have it fixed and can't afford to not have a driveable vehicle for more than a day. So I'd like to be able to take the front diff out and rebuild it on my time, (I have all the tools) While still being able to drive the truck around for commuting. I just can't tell if the diff housing is s structural part of the front suspenion/steering or not. If not, any other ideas? Thanks

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
the frames are diff 2wd to 4wd (in your case AWD) the front housing is also a structural part of the frame

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
If you do try to drive it without the front differental in there (and it can be done) you need to put the axle stubs (get an old set of axles and take them off them) back through the wheel bearings and tighten them up or the wheel bearings will fail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts