S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the brake pads on my 96 and the brakes started locking up really bad and would shake the whole truck going down the road I've replaced the lines, calipers, master cylinder, and distribution block and it still locks them up completely. I thought about replacing the rotors next other than that I don't know what else to do.
Any help?

·
time to get cereal
5,806 Posts
Well... shaking indicates warped rotors. Not sure why you'd replace everything in the brake system, but not even have the rotors turned at least. Did you lube the sliding pins for the calipers?

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
It could be the rubber hoses from the calipers to the steel lines. When they get soft inside they can swell and only let fluid move toward the calipers not back. Had it happen on numerous GM's.
If the rubber hoses are new then it's time to take it to a competent shop for diagnosis. If you keep driving it with the brakes severely dragging you'll take out your transmission.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I replaced the brake pads on my 96 and the brakes started locking up really bad
Let's start here. Before you became a shot gun mechanic. (stand back shoot it with a 12 gauge and replace everything that gets hit by pellets)

Did the truck run fine, no brake issues before the pad change? if yes, there is your issue. something is wrong with what you did. Please detail every step, with pictures of your calipers, and brake pads.
If my car needs an oil change, i dont go out and change the engine and battery because it runs badly after the oil change. But that is similar to what you have done, which introduces so many more issues that compounds the entire situation.

·
Registered
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
564 Posts
There's also the possibility that incorrect parts were installed. It could be a simple mistake/mixup by the parts supplier or incorrectly boxed parts by the vendor. It's rare, but I've seen it happen. I'd check that factor as well. Also, is it possible that the distribution/ proportioning valve is somehow operating incorrectly? What is the operational status of the rear brakes? Do the front brakes remain "locked up" or do they release when pedal pressure is removed? And, as per @bk2life noted, much more detailed information is really vital & needed to try and help offer meaningful suggestions/ solutions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The brakes were non existent so I changed the brakes and had the rotors turned then this started happening when I mash the brakes it isn't releasing the fluid pressure from the calipers so I replaced the rubber hoses going to the calipers which didn't fix the problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let's start here. Before you became a shot gun mechanic. (stand back shoot it with a 12 gauge and replace everything that gets hit by pellets)

Did the truck run fine, no brake issues before the pad change? if yes, there is your issue. something is wrong with what you did. Please detail every step, with pictures of your calipers, and brake pads.
If my car needs an oil change, i dont go out and change the engine and battery because it runs badly after the oil change. But that is similar to what you have done, which introduces so many more issues that compounds the entire situation.
Also the front tires were harder to turn than it should before I replaced the brakes as if the brakes were applied all the time

·
Registered
41 Posts
The brakes were non existent so I changed the brakes and had the rotors turned then this started happening when I mash the brakes it isn't releasing the fluid pressure from the calipers so I replaced the rubber hoses going to the calipers which didn't fix the problem
Try loosening the master cylinder from the booster to see if the brakes release. It could be an issue with the push rod length.

·
Registered
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
564 Posts
I believe what he means is that the front tires were harder to turn, as in rotate, not steer.
That may well be the case. But little old simple me associates 'turn' with steering, and 'rotate' with the tires going 'round and 'round (as on the spindle or axle). And FWIW, from my perspective, the lack of details and clarity is part of the overall situation, besides the brakes themselves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I meant rotate I'm sorry when the brakes lock up I can Crack the line going from the proportioning valve to the abs module and the brakes will release I changed the abs module this morning and it still does the same thing I checked all the lines to make sure they weren't kinked I'm running out if money and options.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just for diagnostic reasons, have you tried disabling the abs. Pull the fuse and see if anything changes.
I’d mic out the rotors and make sure they aren’t below spec causing the calipers to extend too far.
sounds like rotors and booster are the only components you haven’t swapped and I don’t see how a bad booster would cause that issue personally.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts