S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 X has about 2000 miles on it, and as of today, the front brakes don't work. Period. Only the drums are engaging.

No dummy lights are lit, reservoir is full, no lines are visibly kinked or bent.

Any ideas??

- Ryan

·
Early Member
3,114 Posts
If you really don't have any brakes,the piston may be stuck. How have you determined you have no front brakes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the pedal is near-mush, and the truck barely stops. I had a friend drive it and fully engage the brakes, and the rears simply lock up.

After driving for 15 mins in the city, I pulled the truck into the garage and yanked the front wheels. The calipers were cold.

I assume there must be air in the lines, although I have no idea how that could be!

- Ryan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flamed 98 said:
'03 with 2,000 mile = warranty work
Yeah, I'd just rather not drive to the dealer on only drums. Not to mention I'd rather not have them messing with it in the first place. They'll fix the brakes and then break something else.

- Ryan

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you try and fix it yourself and you fock it up, don't expect to go to the dealer and get that warranty work afterwards. I think you can get the dealership to tow your truck to them. Wouldn't that be a liability issue with GM if you crash because of no brakes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
atleast your hoses didn't blow out , I had my left brake line blow out on me going down the road not too long ago . while it was at the shop the guy was pumping up the pedal to bleed the lines and the right one blew too. don't know what the hell but yea . it sucked

and check to see if your insurance will pay for towing . usually you'll get reimbursed if you need to have your truck towed for any reason

·
Early Member
3,114 Posts
It being under warranty, I would have the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
y2k xtreme said:
dealer has pay for towing if it's under warantee.

just BE SURE to specify a flatbed :thumbup:
yeah dont let a regular tow truck pick it up like y2k said...get a flatbed! when my fuel pump went out at 330 miles:rolleyes: the tow truck guy scraped my airdam loading it, he said "oop's" omg it peed me off.....anyways yeah warranty should fix that problem, my brakes wore out at 22,000 miles and i had no idea warrantly didnt cover brake pads, well i went to pick it back up at the dealer and they handed me a bill for $148!!!! i was like hell no im not paying it because nobody said it would cost me anything! i argued with them for a few minutes and i didnt have to pay nothing because they didnt specify a price or estimate or anything, so i got lucky on that deal:D

·
Registered
603 Posts
The dealer's the best route. You can use the roadside assistance 800 number. Also another thing you may want to do after it gets fixed is call the Chevy Probeln nr (800) 222-1020 ext(3). they will give you a file number. WRITE IT DOWN and keep it.
They use this to gather info on chevy problems and it also covers you ass if it happens again after your warranty has expired. The info is also used for product recalls, if they get enough similar complaints. There is also the NTSB website to report serious problems like what you have.

But, I'm rambling. Have the dealer pick it up and fix it...

·
Which seat can I take?
5,681 Posts
my xtreme is a 2002. after about 3,000 miles my passenger piston froze in the engauging postion. i had a $350 complete brake job on it. the dealer is kinda far away. now i have about 19,000 miles on it and the brakes are fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i had a brake line blow and lost my front brakes backing out of my driveway called up for roadside assistance then sent a flat bed to my house and took the shit and brought it to the closest dealer didnt pay a thing

·
Registered
390 Posts
Go with the Warranty, use the crap out of it cause after its gone, you'll wish you had it back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts