S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out what retainer bearing hub I need. Everywhere I look.. I get different answers. I have a 1994 Chevy s10 4.3l 5 speed Nv3500 Transmisson. The old hub has a bunch of numbers on the front of it, but im either putting them in the wrong order or something. I been stuck on this for 3 days now. The pivot ball will not line up with the fork and throwout bearing. I'm ASSUMING it's the hub. Ive rechecked everything else. There is a deep wear completely around the hub. So I figure it's worn down so a new one would raise me up enough to attach the pivot ball. I raised the fork off the throwout bearing to where it's half on and half off is the only way it will work. I figured you wasn't supposed to do that.?,? I'm new to all this stuff and I will say. It can make you feel really stupid. It's bad enough being poor and trying to do it myself. But poor and stupid is to much. Please help.?

·
Been there Done it
10,458 Posts
Are you sure you have the right throw out bearing? If you have one that isn't the right length it'll throw that pivot arms geometry all out of wack. I learned this the hard way many years ago. Compare the length of the new and old throw outs. Hopefully you haven't thrown out the old throw out.
Having learned the hard way I always set them side by side on the bench before installing the trans. Saves doing it twice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I matched the old clutch fork with the new one and measured it. The throw out fits good. The shaft has a good size grove in it. Enough that I can hook your finger nail on it. So I figured it had to be worn down. I don't know what else it could be. But I can't say for sure. I can't get any answers online. You can can a dozen answers and there all different. The old fork actually went thru the bell housing and was a good 1/2" below it. The fork was bent on one corner and the throw out bearing had a thin piece shaved almost completely around it and the outer part was broken in half. Anyways I'm not having any luck funding the right hub. I guess there was 3 different designs some places say the second design fits, some say it doesn't and the same way with the third one. I got a bunch of numbers off it, but can't find anything with them. I must have them in the wrong order or something. I think I got like 8 or 9 numbers and it looked to be the letter S. So the nightmare continues.

·
Registered
134 Posts
does the old fork look exactly like the new one? Except for wear of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea. I think I got it. "But if you watch for my post you'll know I got lots of questions. Maybe you can help with this one. I'm putting on a new pressure plate. Which I've never er done anything like this before. I read about it and try to learn. Anyways.. I took off pressure plate and I didn't secure the flywheel. And it moved. I know I read that it was to be secured and be in alignment. Well I didn't. So it moved on me. Do I have to turn in all the way around and is this a major problem I created ? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have never worked on that particular tranny but have never heard anything about securing the flywheel. You do have to make sure the clutch plate is in alignment when you put the pressure plate back on. Usually you will use a pilot tool to center it and line it up. Otherwise it will be a bugger getting the tranny back in.

·
Been there Done it
10,458 Posts
The reason for securing the flywheel is so you can turn the bolts on the pressure plate to break them loose and torque the new ones properly. Both hard to do when the flywheel is turning. The pressure plate doesn't care which holes you use.
As @SCJimmy says be sure to use an alignment tool thru the disc when tightening the pressure plate. If the hole isn't aligned properly you'll never get the input shaft of trans in when you go to reinstall it. One should have come with your new clutch assembly, if it was a quality product.
Tighten the PP gradually going from side to side tightening the bolts to prevent any damage. I've seen PP covers warped by guys completely tightening one set of bolts on one side then going to the others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts