S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on the truck today and out of necessity I had to put the jack under the rear bumper to lift it up, holy crap the flexing! Top of the bed moved like a whole inch toward the cab

“gm crumple zone” lol

I never thought it was that bad, I freaked out for a sec. doesn’t flex the opposite way when you jack it up under the cab so it’s not like it’s gonna fall apart but still

·
Been there Done it
10,084 Posts
Back half the frame rusty?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,096 Posts
The SS...possibly other trucks with the ZQ8 option had an additional frame brace.

·
Been there Done it
10,084 Posts
Gotta pic?

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
598 Posts
The very rear of the frame is pretty thin, and lacks much in the way of structure, that is normal, the truck was not designed to be lifted by the bumper.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I first discovered this flex on my 2003 ZQ8 truck when I parked with 1 rear tire on a hill. It was so bad the tailgate wouldn't open. I have added a hitch frame with the receiver cut off and that has stiffened the frame noticeably, but it still flexes. I'd like to box the frame too, but that'll be down the road a ways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most pick-ups I've owned are always jacked up under the axle or the frame. They all flex when you jack them up by the bumper. Especially under the rear and that includes full size pick-ups.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts