S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 350 from a 1978 C/K or Silverado, The motor is a four bolt main. Ran strong, very strong before it was pulled from the truck. Other than that not much is known. Anyone know if this is a motor with some potential, or how to tell if it does? Thanks in advance.

·
Budget Ballin FTS!
3,652 Posts
Do you know the block numbers? Look on the back of the block and see if its a 010 block or what... 010 blocks have more nickel content and are stronger blocks and can hold more on the 4 bolt main. Also (this is in drag racing) alot of people will tell you a 4bolt is no better than a 2bolt being that with 4 bolts you have less wall thickness around the bolts and the block is prone to cracking there, I have seen more 4bolts fail here than 2 bolts. But also people generally put more into a 4bolt so that could be the case. But its hard to say if your engine has potential without knowing what block it is and what heads you have. In my toyota im running a SBC350 010 block with 373 heads and I love it.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Do you know the block numbers? Look on the back of the block and see if its a 010 block or what... 010 blocks have more nickel content and are stronger blocks and can hold more on the 4 bolt main. Also (this is in drag racing) alot of people will tell you a 4bolt is no better than a 2bolt being that with 4 bolts you have less wall thickness around the bolts and the block is prone to cracking there, I have seen more 4bolts fail here than 2 bolts. But also people generally put more into a 4bolt so that could be the case. But its hard to say if your engine has potential without knowing what block it is and what heads you have. In my toyota im running a SBC350 010 block with 373 heads and I love it.
You should do a little more research on the "010" myth and where the markings are

The 010 on the block any place other then under the timing cover just means its a 3970010 casting, the most common 4" bore casting used by GM.

GM stopped casting the 010 (0.10% more tin and nickel) and 020 (0.20% more tin and nickel)under the timing cover marked blocks after 78, when they went to the thinner walled castings, after their studies proved that the additional cost did not add to the life of the motor and the bores wore out just as fast.
The tin was added to make the block easier to machine and the nickel was added to increase the bore life, neither was really added to increase the strength. They could have played with the carbon content to make it stronger, but since breaking wasn't the issue, they didn't.

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
010 blocks have more nickel content and are stronger blocks and can hold more on the 4 bolt main.
Erase this from your memory banks, I only clicked on this thread just because I knew it would the first response, and it was.....

No one benefits from an 010 block, they are as common as pennys. Plus 99.9% of people will not benefit from a "high nickel block" even if took the time to find it.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
I found a 350 from a 1978 C/K or Silverado, The motor is a four bolt main. Ran strong, very strong before it was pulled from the truck. Other than that not much is known. Anyone know if this is a motor with some potential, or how to tell if it does? Thanks in advance.
To answer the question, alot of the potential of the motor is in the heads and cam, and the fact that a 350 has a 4 inch bore. 1978 heads are weak by todays standards, not just the flow, but the shape of the combustion chambers are much improved. Even just a cam swap alone will bump up power and torque over any 1978 stocker, tho the cam in there now might not be stock, it's been alot of years. If a few lobes have been wiped out you would be able to tell because it would run, but not very strong.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
most of the 69 to 79 truck blocks were 010 and 020 nickle and tin hard good blocks and were 4 bolt

first digit of the stamping suffix will be T if its truck

these were the best 350 blocks

90% chance this is one of them

the 010 and 020 were found under timing cover or in bellhousing area

3970010 and 3970014 were the best

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
most of the 69 to 79 truck blocks were 010 and 020 nickle and tin hard good blocks and were 4 bolt

first digit of the stamping suffix will be T if its truck

these were the best 350 blocks

90% chance this is one of them

the 010 and 020 were found under timing cover or in bellhousing area

3970010 and 3970014 were the best
You need to do a little more research, no most of them were not high nickel and tin blocks and only the 010 or 020 under the timing cover indicates a high tin / nickel block, if its in the bell area, it only means its a 3970010 casting and only the heavier duty trucks had 4 bolt mains, very few on the half tons did. By rthe way 78 was the last year high nickel blocks were produced, since in 79 GM switch casting methods to the thinner walled blocks and none of them were high nickel

·
Budget Ballin FTS!
3,652 Posts
You should do a little more research on the "010" myth and where the markings are

The 010 on the block any place other then under the timing cover just means its a 3970010 casting, the most common 4" bore casting used by GM.

GM stopped casting the 010 (0.10% more tin and nickel) and 020 (0.20% more tin and nickel)under the timing cover marked blocks after 78, when they went to the thinner walled castings, after their studies proved that the additional cost did not add to the life of the motor and the bores wore out just as fast.
The tin was added to make the block easier to machine and the nickel was added to increase the bore life, neither was really added to increase the strength. They could have played with the carbon content to make it stronger, but since breaking wasn't the issue, they didn't.
I honestly did not know that at all. But now I do and I know what to look for next time. Also I have never seen a 020 block that I know of. Ill take yours and SweetS10V8's word for the fact that i am wrong. You both have age and experience over me. For a 21 year old I have done some stuff. But most of the older guys have forgot more than i know lol I know my dad has.

·
is a fungineer
6,108 Posts
Bad cell phone picture, but this is the block I have in my garage.

3970010 casting, 010/020 block. This is the 010/020 marking under the timing cover.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts