S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 s10 xcab. I’m swapping the rear ends out. Found a 8.5 g80 posi at my local pick and pull. It is out of a 98’ gmc Sonoma. I would like to do a disk brake conversion on it before I put it in, as the new to me 8.5 has drums on it. My s10 also has drums but I want to change that. So my question is can anyone point me in the right direction for one?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
There are sdeveral write ups on the disc conversion. Use the search function at the top of the page and they'll pop up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Do you happen to have pics? It seems like a lot of yards (and people) don't know how to identify 8.5's. I know one recent post a guy bought one he was told was an 8.5, and turned out not to be. Just asking before you go to the trouble of taking it apart, just in case.

Jay

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I’m pretty sure that’s an 8.5. I didn’t ask the yard anything I did a lot of research and checked all the rpo codes in all the s10 and Sonoma’s that are in the yard.This was the only one that showed GU4 G80 ZQ8. So I took the rear end/ sway bar and pulled the front sway bar which is the thick one and pulled the coil springs. It was a good find

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tubes due step down and the back cover is circle not oval. Tore it down and everything looks good. Cleaning it up and painting it. It’s gonna look sweet when I’m done with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tell me if I’m wrong. From what I’ve read the disk brakes from a 2wd/4wd blazer s10 will bolt right up to this rear end? I would need everything from the baking plate forward?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
While you're at the yard, take a big hammer and chisel. You'll need the brackets from the disc rear where the hard lines transition to the soft lines. A couple of good whacks and they'll pop right off. You need to make sure you get rotors from 2wd

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
I’ll need two 1/4” spacers that’s all?
2wd backing plates are different along with the rotors. 2wd and 4wd position the calipers differently and the rotors are completely different, ask me how I know! I bought the wrong stuff when I rebuilt mine and had to send back and reorder.

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
As long as he uses the 2wd rotors, it doesn't matter 2wd or 4wd.
The brackets and the backing plates have to match either 2wd or 4wd. I'm wondering about the spacing of the 4wd brackets with the 2wd rotors? Will the calipers line up right?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
The brackets and the backing plates have to match either 2wd or 4wd. I'm wondering about the spacing of the 4wd brackets with the 2wd rotors? Will the calipers line up right?
Agreed, but it doesn't matter if you use either. You just have to make sure you get the correct dust shields. Calipers for either will work....again with the correct dust shields.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My understanding is the offset is the same for both the 2wd and 4wd caliper brackets, so they can be swapped between when used with the correct offset rotors for the drive wheels.

The thing to be careful of is clearance. I believe on the 2 Door Blazers the front mount calipers can/will contact the frame and/or the bumpstop mounts. S10s should be fine in any configuration.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
There are 4 differant rear S10 caliper brackets. Left side forward caliper. Left side rear caliper. Right side forward caliper. Right side rear caliper. They all position the caliper at the same distance from the mounting flange. The reason for the 0.250" spacers is because the drum brake axles protrude 0.250" further from the mounting flange, then the disc brake ones do.

·
time to get cereal
3,209 Posts
Ooh, did not know this... so I can just use the disc axles I have in my drum rear end and not have to have spacers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts