S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4, 4.3L automatic
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our trucks are getting older, and in many cases all those bulbs for the switches, A/C controls, 4X4 mode switch, radio, ad nauseam have burned out.

I’ve re-lamped a LOT of this stuff over the years. It makes a big difference when everything is properly illuminated again! Here are my two go-to sources for these tiny light bulbs, radio knobs, and a lot of other items that refresh the interior.

Here are 2 screenshots to give you an idea of what’s available.
Font Gas Rectangle Parallel Machine

Camera accessory Automotive tire Font Material property Liquid

The knobs are available individually, I haven’t used their LEDs. Take a look around their site, their inventory is huge.

This next site is where I ordered the bulbs for the 4X4 mode switch. This screenshot shows a few of the LEDs they carry.

One thing to note when shopping for LEDs to replace the original incandescent bulbs is that the LEDs are rated for brightness in Lumens, and the incandescents are rated in MSCP. To convert so that you’re comparing apples to apples, multiply MSCP by 12.57 and you have Lumens.
Product Font Parallel Circle Audio equipment

In later threads I’ll go over tools and techniques, disassembly without destruction on switches, re-lamping the radio and tape player, A/C controls and the headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Our trucks are getting older, and in many cases all those bulbs for the switches, A/C controls, 4X4 mode switch, radio, ad nauseam have burned out.

I’ve re-lamped a LOT of this stuff over the years. It makes a big difference when everything is properly illuminated again! Here are my two go-to sources for these tiny light bulbs, radio knobs, and a lot of other items that refresh the interior.

Here are 2 screenshots to give you an idea of what’s available.
View attachment 355825
View attachment 355826
The knobs are available individually, I haven’t used their LEDs. Take a look around their site, their inventory is huge.

This next site is where I ordered the bulbs for the 4X4 mode switch. This screenshot shows a few of the LEDs they carry.

One thing to note when shopping for LEDs to replace the original incandescent bulbs is that the LEDs are rated for brightness in Lumens, and the incandescents are rated in MSCP. To convert so that you’re comparing apples to apples, multiply MSCP by 12.57 and you have Lumens.
View attachment 355827
In later threads I’ll go over tools and techniques, disassembly without destruction on switches, re-lamping the radio and tape player, A/C controls and the headlight switch.
I forgot my headlight switch lit up..lol, well I'll be looking forward to it, I used them for my led indicators, and hazard in cluster

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that the driver’s side power window switch module “can’t be re-lamped” and the only answer is to replace the entire switch.

The problem is the larger blue bulb in the base, and is “not available”. Is this true?

The original blue replacement bulb that was available at www.jklamps.com is obsolete. I got the last few of those.

There is a possible replacement, I ordered some and will post the results on what I find here.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I like to picture my @Dan_in_WA reading his name out like that fully in real life, but with a medieval voice like that guy in "the witcher"....oh and also yes, Dan you have lit many a' dashes this past year...many of us owe you a big thank you and keep the info flowing. Well I still gotta get my cluster back out to get back to you about mine, but MANY OTHERS have been saved thus far in their quest....sorry#braindamageisahelluvadrug #teamWanderBrain

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad it’s been useful! Tinkering is fun, and these trucks deserve some TLC. Who ever designed a lot of this has spent some time as a mechanic! A/C service? It’s all right there on top where one can get at it. Parts availability? GM made so many of ‘em that one can find anything needed, if not new then aftermarket or salvage yard.

Getting in the truck at night and having almost all of those lights working again makes for a makes it much more pleasant to drive.

I’m really going to miss this thing when it’s done and goes back to it’s owner. May have to get another of my own. She’s decided to keep it rather than sell it, much to the dismay of a few local people who called, me asking about it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May I post a link to another forum here? Some sites allow it, some don’t.

For fans of Medieval Maintenance Practices I once pulled the frozen lower ball joint out of a 2004 Mini Cooper steering knuckle using a lawnmower blade, two metric flathead bolts, GLOVES, and a large socket wrench.

PRO TIP: Put the lawnmower back together before your spouse tries to mow the lawn!

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
926 Posts
May I post a link to another forum here? Some sites allow it, some don’t.

For fans of Medieval Maintenance Practices I once pulled the frozen lower ball joint out of a 2004 Mini Cooper steering knuckle using a lawnmower blade, two metric flathead bolts, GLOVES, and a large socket wrench.

PRO TIP: Put the lawnmower back together before your spouse tries to mow the lawn!
Nah, keep the mower disassembled - keep 'em guessing about it's poor performance!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts